Son (Keefe POV)

A/N: A bonus chapter from my main story: Keefe's POV of him and Fitz getting ready for his and Sophie's wedding.

I'm getting married today.

Keefe grinned to himself as pulled out his Havenfield home crystal.

He couldn't wait.

Fitz arrived the same time he did. Edaline welcomed them inside, giving them both quick hugs--tears springing to her eyes as she looked at Keefe. "Happy wedding day," she said, wiping her eyes. "You two can get ready in Jolie's room. I'll conjure lunch up for you, be sure to eat before you change. And try to stay in the room. Humans apparently have this tradition where the groom can't see the bride before the wedding, so we thought that would be a small way we could honor Sophie's human upbringing."

Fitz laughed. "Humans are so weird. Why would that matter?"

Edaline laughed along with him. "I know, it's silly, but there we are. Just stay in the room until Grady comes to get you. Sophie and the girls are already upstairs getting ready, and she should stay in there, but just in case, wait for Grady."

Keefe gave her a little salute. "Yes, ma'am."

"So...today's the day," Fitz said as they began climbing the stairs. "How are you feeing?"

Keefe shrugged. "Excited. Nervous. But mostly excited." He smirked. "You know, I think I owe you an apology."

"For what?"

"When I was in the Forbidden Cities, I watched a bunch of movies and television shows where the 'best man' ends up falling for one of the bridesmaids...too bad our only bridesmaid is your sister. Sorry about that one, dude."

They entered Jolie's old room and found plates of food just as Edaline had promised.

Fitz rolled his eyes at him. "Somehow I think I'll live. Maybe I'll be like my dad and a hundred years from now the perfect girl will come along."

Keefe just shook his head.

He saw the way Fitz looked at Linh.

It took Fitz a long time to realize he liked Sophie, too, so Keefe shouldn't be surprised that Fitz didn't seem to be aware of his burgeoning feelings for Linh.

Apparently Keefe was the only one of them that was able to readily discern his own feelings. He'd known right away how he felt about Sophie. For that matter, he'd known right away he didn't share Biana's feelings years ago. Foster had known how she felt about Fitz, but had taken ages to realize how she felt for Keefe, and Fitz hadn't been aware of his feelings for her for a long time. And Dex...well, Dex had misplaced gratitude for his first real friend. But it hadn't seemed to take Dex or Biana very long to realize how they felt about each other.

Keefe supposed being an Empath just made him more able to discern his own feelings.

"I'm glad we're guys," Fitz said suddenly.

Keefe snorted. "Me too. But...any particular reason you're bringing that up now?"

Fitz just nodded at him. "Biana was talking about how early she planned to get here today to get herself and Sophie ready. And she showed me--forgetting I'm not a girl and don't really care--the large bag full of makeup and hair products she was bringing here. I have a feeling poor Sophie's been sitting upstairs getting a major makeover for hours now. And probably hating all the attention."

"Oh she definitely hates getting lots of attention," Keefe agreed. "But I think she has resigned herself to it for today. It's hard to avoid being the center of attention at your own wedding. But, being the kind and loving guy that I am, I assured her I'd make sure I hogged as much attention as possible. You know, just for her sake."