Broadway

A/N: A bonus chapter from my main story. This would fit sometime not long after Sophie and Keefe's first anniversary.

"So, I've been thinking," Keefe announced one evening during dinner.

"Uh-oh." Fitz, who had come to Aeternum with Linh to enjoy a quiet evening with Sophie and Keefe, put down his bottle of lushberry juice and looked as though he were bracing himself.

"Why 'uh-oh'?" Keefe asked innocently.

Fitz snorted. "What do you think? You announce that you've been thinking, with an air of obvious excitement, which can only mean you're up to no good."

Sophie shared a glance--and a small laugh--with Linh.

"He has a point," Linh pointed out.

Keefe turned to Sophie. "You going to let your little Cognate buddy and his girlfriend talk to me like that?"

Sophie just laughed a little louder this time. "Um...yes?"

He let out a dramatic sigh. "No one understands me."

"I'm sorry, Keefe," Sophie replied in a placating voice. "What were you thinking? I'm sure it's a very good idea."

He rolled his eyes at her, but continued. "As I was saying, I was thinking that we should get all our friends together and go see a Broadway show."

Fitz's brow furrowed. "Why would we do that?"

"Um...to further understand part of human culture? Humans create incredibly authentic art, even in performance art, there's such honesty and vulnerability and skill--"

"Okay," Fitz said with a laugh. "I've heard a lot of your speeches about how humans compose music better than we do."

"But it's not just music, there's acting and dancing, also, and the magic of seeing it live--"

"There's no talking him out of this, is there?" Linh asked Sophie.

"Probably not," Sophie admitted. "But it actually sounds like a lot of fun, if we think we could all sneak away without the Council noticing."

"They're bound to notice, but they seem to have developed a tendency to look the other way where you're concerned," Fitz told her. But then he looked at Keefe. "But not everyone speaks English. I'm not sure Biana or Tam or Linh would get as much out of it."

Linh shrugged. "Explain the plot to me beforehand. I grew up hearing all about how elvin music is so superior. I'd love a chance to experience what humans bring to the table."

"Think you can convince Tammy Boy?" Keefe asked.

"Probably. He might not want to force it on Rayni, though. He'll only be interested because he'll know our parents would consider it a waste of time."

"So would my dad, come to that," Keefe agreed. "Now I'm even more excited to go."

The next question, of course, was what show they would go see. Thanks to Dex, Sophie had easy internet access and could see what plays and musicals were currently on Broadway.

"Skip the plays," Keefe said. "The whole point is to show everyone the way humans' wide variety of emotions influence their composition of music in conjunction with their ability to perform it so well."

"Oooh!" Sophie said suddenly. "Wicked!"

"Um...there's one called Wicked? Don't you think we've had...enough of that to last the rest of eternity?" Fitz looked at her like she was insane.

"It's not really about evil. Or...not exactly. Oh, if we go see that we'll have to watch The Wizard of Oz first...although it's a book, too, maybe we should read it. Though all the symbolism in the book will be completely lost on elves..."