Flashback 27 (Keefe POV)

Staying true to his word, Keefe headed to the Healing Center to visit Foster.

She'd been very unhappy that he hadn't checked in after going to Tiergan's.

Somewhere in the recesses of his mind, distracted as he'd been, he loved how upset and feisty she'd been about it.

She cared.

But he also hadn't wanted to break his concentration when she'd hailed him, and almost didn't answer when she started transmitting to him.

Thinking about it now, she probably should've realized how serious the situation was, how important, if he ignored her.

But of course, she didn't catch the significance because she remained oblivious to his feelings for her.

But now, it was time to check in with her and keep her company now that Fitz had gone home.

And he could feel her angst before he even walked through the doors to the Healing Center.

"Wow, it's like walking into a cloud of sulk in here," he teased, fanning the air away from his face as he walked toward her. "I mean, I figured you'd be feeling a little lost without your Cognate buddy, but trust me: Fitzy isn't worth this much angst."

"I'm not pouting about Fitz," she told him.

He didn't detect a lie, at least not outright.

So maybe she wasn't only sulking about Fitz.

"Ah, so you admit you are pouting?" he continued, throwing himself onto the edge of her cot.

She shrugged, but said nothing.

"Hmm," he said, considering her. "This might be more moping than Krakie can handle--I guess it's a good thing I brought him a friend!" He reached into his cape and pulled out the kraken pin--their kraken pin-- which he'd taken when they were searching his mind, along with a fresh box of Prattles. "Let's see what we got this time."

He fished out the tiny pouch and uncovered a blue, scale-covered kitten. "A murcat! Gah--that's tricky to name. We already have a Scaley Butt. How about Drifty? Or Sea-Whiskers?"

Foster sighed, holding on to her angst. "You don't have to do this."

Yes I do.

I promised Edaline.

"If you're talking about being adorable, I really can't help myself." He smirked and winked at her.

He felt her mood improve slightly, but also watched as she stubbornly refused to smile.

Bolstered by the fact that it hadn't taken much to begin the work of improving her mood--in fact, there had been a slight uptick in her demeanor the moment he'd walked in--he merely laughed and reached for her left wrist. He pinned Krakie back into place on her makeshift bracelet before adding the murcat next to the kelpie.

"Okay, so you have two choices," he told her. "You can tell me what brought on the Foster Funk. Or I can guess--and I have some pretty interesting theories."

Ignoring Ro as she agreed--and then stole the Prattles--he warned Foster, "three seconds to decide. Then it's guessing time!"

"It's not a big deal," she told him, having to talk louder to be heard over Ro's obnoxious eating of the Prattles. "I'm just...really sick of being in this bed."

"Okay. then let's get you out of it! I hear you can do that now!" He hopped back to his feet and held out a hand to help her up. "I promised to show you a secret cafeteria, didn't I? Perfect way to end your Foxfire slumber party!"