Legacy 18: part 1 (Keefe POV)

"Soooooo...these are disappointing." Keefe took a second bite from a round Digestive biscuit and crinkled his nose. "Are they supposed to suck up all the spit in your mouth and turn it into a paste? Is that, like, something humans find delicious?"

It was hard to discern much flavor when his mouth had gone completely dry.

"Maybe you're supposed to dunk them in milk?" Foster suggested through her own mouthful of dry biscuit. "Actually, I think you're supposed to eat them with tea."

"You think?" Keefe asked, shaking his head and stuffing the rest of the Digestive into his mouth in spite of the dryness.

Nope, still gross.

"You're failing me with your human knowledge, Foster."

He felt her exasperation--and honestly got a kick out of it--as she replied, "for the thousandth time, I grew up in the U.S., not the U.K.! We had Chips Ahoy! and Oreos and E.L. Fudges!"

"Hm. Those do sound more fun than a Digestive," he conceded.

"I'm sure you'd especially enjoy the E.L. Fudges," she told him. "They're shaped like tiny elves."

What?!

That sounded fantastic.

Keefe dropped the package of Jaffa Cakes he'd been in the process of opening and scanned the beach in front of them. "Okay, where's the nearest cliff? You need to teleport me somewhere to get some of those immediately."

"She most certainly does not," Sandor corrected him.

"Aw, come on, Gigantor!" Keefe whined. "We're talking about elf-shaped cookies! I need this in my life!"

Honestly, he was amazed Foster had waited so long to tell him that such a gem existed. He definitely wasn't going to let this one slide. Seriously...how long had she lived in the Lost Cities and had never mentioned this before???

"So do I!" Ro added. "Do you have any idea how much fun I would have smashing them?"

Foster laughed, and Keefe leaned back against the arm of the large cushioned swing they'd been sharing, watching the sun slowly sink toward the ocean, trying not to let her see just how much her laughter affected him.

"There's the smile I've been waiting for!" He said, eyes still on the horizon. "It's about time, Foster! I wasn't sure how many more biscuits I'd be able to stomach. I mean, these weren't too bad"—he picked up the ones labeled 'Jammie Dodgers' —"but note to self: Next time Foster shows up out of the blue, clearly upset over something she's been worrying about all day and yet refuses to talk about, stick with mallowmelt for the cheer-up process."

He looked back at her in time to see her gaze drop to the unopened Custard Creams in her lap, feeling denial mix with the worry and frustration she'd already been throwing his way.

"I didn't need cheering up," she lied. "And I'm not worrying about anything."

"Uh, do I really need to remind you that I'm an Empath?" he asked. "Or can I just pelt you with the rest of these Digestives? It'd be way better than having to eat them."

"I'm not feeling a whole lot of gratitude from you here for all the effort I went through to bring you back your biscuit shopping list—plus bonus treats," she deflected.

Nope.

Not gonna work.

We both know you're going to open up to me.

"You mean having Dizznee pull some money from your birth fund and then hitting up a shop for a couple of minutes?" Keefe asked. "Yeah, Dex told me all about how not exhausting that was last night, when he checked in to tell me how things went for you two in London, while someone was off doing something with Mr. Forkle that was clearly both frustrating and intense—as most things with Forkle tend to be."