Chapter 8: Why Me?

Walking into the living room reminded me of walking into a pit of Leviathan Vipers during my training in the Ghato Dynasty back home. The Avengers were all facing me, including this big man with an eyepatch. I stand in silence, wondering what I should say. The eyepatch man grunted, "Miss (Y/n), we would like you to join the Avengers Initiative of Earth's Mightiest Heroes. My name is Nick Fury, leader of S.H.I.E.L.D" His politeness was only because he considered me as a child. 

"Why me?" It's a question that had repeated itself my entire life. Nick shrugged.

"You have supernatural physical strengths, and to be honest we need a place to contain you until we find what you are and if there's others like you." Nick walks toward me, staring me down. 

"There is no one else of my kind..." I answer. The Avengers look uncomfortable, but I continue. "It's true that I'm not human, and that when I am at my full power I have the potential to be dangerous... but I promise you that my people are gone." 

"Gone?" Cap asked from his seat at his table.

"Dead." I say through gritted teeth. "Killed, all of them." I stare around the room landing finally back on Nick Fury. "I will accept your offer, but only because if I don't you will find some other way to contain me." His smile was small and he nods.

"Wait, wait, wait." Tony stood. "May I take the floor?" Nick nods and backs away. "Ok, great. Now Miss (Y/n), you have said before you are not human. But you have never specified what you actually are, or what your people are." He looks around the room, "Or what could've possibly killed off an entire race." He shrugs, "Now I saw you in that rift, you attacked me and you didn't look anything like this." He gestures to my human body. "So I would like the truth. What Are you." He won't let this one go, and sooner or later I'll have to tell them.

"I am what you would call, Dragonborn. I lived in a realm outside of the Asgardian realms." I look towards Thor. "My people were powerful but our power was weak compared to you Asgardians, so we always made sure to never cross paths." I look at Tony now, "You saw me in my Drago form, wings, tail and talons but what you did not see was that I saved your life. You would never have made it out before that bomb detonated." Tony looks uncomfortable, and I knew he was thinking over that day. 

"But you still haven't told us what killed your race, from what I am hearing, those things could be a major threat." Banner reminds me.

"They are called the Sacred." I am silent for a time before I continue. "They are monsters that will destroy entire realms and nations. They killed my people... all of them." I hold up my bracelet, "This is a travelers charm, it allows you to go anywhere in the universe. It can change your appearance and cause you to be able to communicate with the inhabitants there. But it has been drained and I won't be able to revert to my Drago form until it is fully charged." There was silence as the Avengers tried to understand what I had just said.

"I am sorry for your loss. War is a horrible thing." I nod towards Steve. Tony looks back up to me.

Tony looks back up to me."You said you have powers."He is way to nosy and it makes me want to punch him, why is he so annoying?

"Yes. I can create shields, move certain objects with my mind, I can heal most wounds and I can read minds." I didn't mention that I could see into peoples past, or what happens when I am at my true power though. They don't need to know that. Tony nods and sits back down. I look towards Cap. "Is that all?"

Cap smiles, "Welcome to the Avengers." The rest of the team smiles and congratulates me, Natasha came up and actually hugged me. 

"It'll be good to have another woman on the team." She smiles, and I feel... good. Her smile is one I have never seen before, it is kind and full of pride. It was a smile my Mother never gave me. Banner followed Natasha and patted me on the shoulder. I smiled at him and he grinned back.