Chapter 1

Fuck My Dad, Yo.
1992
Adina's POV

"Hey, baby girl!" Mama P's arms engulfed me, radiating a vibe I hadn't felt in ages. "You done got so big, child! Ain't seen you in about 6 years, huh?" Her voice cut through the thumping beats of the speakers, wrapping me in a tight embrace.

The scent of her nostalgic Amber perfume flooded my senses, triggering memories I thought were lost.

Despite the time apart, Mama P felt like a second mother to me, or maybe an aunt. Her energy was comforting, inviting, and damn, those hugs! I swear, they could cure anything.

We giggled as we rocked back and forth in our embrace, a moment of pure connection amidst the chaos of the party.

"How you doin', Mama P?" I asked, finally pulling away but keeping our arms intertwined. A bittersweet smile danced on her lips, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. "I'm hangin' in there, sweetheart, I'm hangin' in there." Her grip on my arms tightened briefly before releasing.

Guilt washed over me. I barely knew this woman. Sure, I'd said hi on the phone when my mom talked to her, and I vaguely remembered tearful goodbyes before we bounced. But she was everything to my mom, so she mattered to me.

"You got prayers all around, Mama P. Just stay strong," I offered, sincerity lacing my words as an upside-down smile tugged at my lips.

"I will, Adina," she replied, patting my arm gently.

"Oh! I got you something," I exclaimed, digging through my purse and pulling out a small picture book. Inside were flicks I'd found in the attic of our old house, capturing moments between her and my mom.

It was a gesture, a token of the memories they shared, a way to bridge the gap between us.

Adding stickers, quotes, and heartfelt messages from me, my brother Eugene, my mom, and even my stubborn dad, I poured my heart into every page.

Rolling my eyes at the thought of my dad, I frowned, wishing Eugene could be here. But he was off at college in Mississippi, his absence palpable. So he unfortunately couldn't come. I'ma miss his knucklehead ass.

Mama P shot me a quizzical glance as I handed her the book. "Honey, you don't have to give me anyth-"

"But I am... it ain't much anyway... just somethin' I put together," I interjected, offering the book with a half-smile, urging her to take it.

She accepted the book, flipping through each page, her eyes welling up with tears as she relived the memories captured within.

"Did I mess up, Mama P?" I asked, furrowing my brows in concern.

"Nah, baby. It's beautiful," she reassured me, planting a kiss on my cheek before pulling me into another embrace. A grin spread across my face, relieved that she appreciated it. "Thank you, Adina. I love it."

"Adina?!" A familiar voice boomed from behind me.

Who's this loudmouth?

"Ohh, look who it is," Mama P chuckled, and I turned to see who was causing all the commotion.

Who in the world is calling my name like that? They've got everyone's attention.

Turning around, I spotted a guy with baggy clothes, long dreads, and that unmistakable tooth gap. "Deshaun?!" I exclaimed, mirroring his excitement as I realized who it was.

I'd recognize that tooth gap anywhere!

"Oh my god!!!" My hands flew to my mouth as I shrieked, then immediately wrapped my arms around Deshaun's neck.