Chapter 25

Nathan
1994
Marshall's POV

"Ay, you gon' come wit me to my moms crib real quick? I gotta pick up some more clothes."

"Ya moms?..." Adina hesitates.

"Yea,.. I mean.. you ain't gotta get out the car.. I'm just askin'." I speak hurriedly, not wanting her to think I want her to meet my mom and introduce herself as my girlfriend.

Not that they haven't already met... they have and I know they've had conversations in the past but that was two whole years ago.

If she met her now she'd be meeting my mom as my girlfriend... like officially.

Bein able to call her that still makes my chest fill with this unexplainable feeling...the feeling kinda scares me still...

The only long lasting relationship I had was with Kim... and it didn't go well at all... I was stuck in it. And I for sure as hell don't wanna go back to that.

I don't want Adina and I to be toxic... and I know I'm young, I know I'm a fuckin' asshole, I know I can be stupid.. and immature...we all know it.

But I've been bein' extra careful with myself... even before we officially started dating... ion wanna hurt this girl. And like I said before... sometimes she can act like a brat but she done softened up on me tremendously... and so have I... unbelievably quickly.. and again... that shit scares me.

When she had gotten a ride from her Ex fuckin boyfriend, I thought it was quits between us... I was debatin' on ending shit with her just so I wouldn't get my feelings hurt but I knew I had to just step the fuck up and tell her how I felt.

Which I did... and it ended gracefully... I'm glad I did.

I have a hard time expressing my feelings. I gotta admit that. I feel less of a man, I feel like a fuckin' sissy, I feel vulnerable and weak when I do shit like that.... The way she had me stuttering over my words didn't make me feel no better about it either.

But like I said, it was worth putting my ego aside...cause now she's my girl...which is all I've wanted for a very long time.

Being over at Deshaun's house never helped me forget about her when Adina and I stopped talking since Deshaun's place is the first place we kissed...

Poor Doody, he don't know all the types of shit we've done in his crib...that mothafucka would go ballistic. But we're still managing to keep it a secret and Bugz is helpin' is out a lot.

Thank god for him.

...

Walking towards my mamas trailer home with Adina bedside me, we step up the little steps before knocking on the door.

After a few seconds, the door swings open, revealing my mother. "What are you doin here, Marshall-" My mother's eyes widen. "Adina?!...Jesus I haven't seen you in a while....I thought you and my son broke all contact."

Adina shakes her head no. "Nah, we're all good now."

"Jeez,...Kim wouldn't be happy about this at all-"

"Mama, cut it." I speak to her, wide eyed...ion want Adina to hear about her... I understand how that could only make her feel worried.

Kimberly's opinion don't matter in this anyway.

"Well, she's been calling and asking about you." My mom shrugs.

I can see Adina look at me in my peripheral vision.

"Ion give a damn... what in the world is there to talk about wit that woman?.. can you let us in, now? It's cold as shit."

My mom rolls her eyes before opening the door widely for us, revealing my little brother Nathan sitting in the floor watching cartoons.

I thought he was with Betty... why is he back over here?...ion want him around my mother.

"What's Nathan doin' here, Ma." I ask as she closes the door behind us.

"He's my child... I do as I please, Marshall." She shrugs.

"Nah, yo! You know what we talked about!" I whisper/yell, not wanting to grab Nathan's attention.

"Like I said, Marshall. He's my child. I know what's best for him! I don't need anyone bossin' me around about my kid! He's fine here-"

"No the fuck he's not!...around yo crackhead ass? I bet you barely got shit in the fridge for him to eat, Ma! This is ridiculous!" I continue to yell under my breath as I notice Adina becoming uncomfortable.

Lemme just grab Nathan and leave.

I walk up to Nathan, picking him up. "Hey, bud, let's go-"

"The hell are you doing?!" My mom shouts.

"I'm takin' Nathan with me."

"No the hell you aren't, Marshall! Are you crazy?" Her high pitched voice annoyingly shouts again.

"He ain't no damn good here, yo! Are you fuckin' crazy?!"

"Marshall, I swear to god I'll call the police right no-"

"Yea, wit ya house smellin' like cigarettes and weed?! Not a damn thing to eat in here?! You look like you ain't slept in days and Nathan ain't doin' a damn thing but staring at the TV fryin' his brain rotten! They ain't gon' do a damn thing for you!" I motion for Adina to come on as I leave my mother with nothing else to say inside of her trailer park home before she gets a chance to go on her 'I'm your mother, you don't talk to me that way' pathetic, pointless rant.

"Baby, what about ya clothes?!"

"Forget about the damn clothes, Dina." I slam my moms front door shut.

I'll come by another fuckin' time, or I'll just buy some more damn clothes but I'm not having Nathan stay at my moms... she's knows he's not allowed to be there, Betty knows and so do I... so ion even fuckin know how she got him there.