Chapter 27

White Lie
1995
Marshall's POV

Everything with Adina and I still been amazing, I'll call her every night and mornin' and usually after she's done with work I'll go and pick her up and we'll go out to eat together.

Since her car is still in the shop, she called some towing company to come and pick her car up.

I'm still so fuckin' pissed off about this Angelo mothafucka who's workin' at her job, dawg. That shit gets me so heated everytime I see him when I pick my girl up. But Adina informs me that everything is alright and they barely even interact unless they need to, for work. And I believe her, I trust her. I mean shit.. I know for sure as hell she don't like Angelo anyway. But it still puts me on edge when I think about it.

This is why relationships stress me the fuck out, yo... all of this overthinking and wanting constant reassurance but you don't wanna be annoying or sound insecure. I get wayyy too in my head about this shit, yo... way too much... but the longer I'm with Adina the less worried I feel.. I still have my moments though... but I feel like this girl makes me a better person.. just in general.

I feel happy. Like genuinely... even though Ronnie passed away in '91... I can't explain to you how close we was. But that shit absolutely broke me.. it broke me, bad. And Adina and Deshaun always comfort me about it when I get those random thoughts about Ronnie.

Deshaun and I haven't spoken in days...you know since what happened, happened- I still ain't went over there to go and get some of my belongings, I will soon..Adina ain't talked to Deshaun either from what I know of. But what I do know is that I feel real fuckin' shitty about it.. and I just want Deshaun, Adina, and I to be like how we was.. I'm sure it'll be okay soon... we didn't even hang out for new years either. Which is somethin' me and Doody always do...Deshaun isn't the one to hold grudges. But I'll apologize until I can't speak no more.

"Marshall, the phone is ringing." Kim called.

Shit, it's probably Adina.. her shift is over around this time.

Getting up from the couch, I went to the kitchen before picking up the phone.

"Hey, baby? Can you come pick me up?" Adina spoke through the phone.

"Yea, I'll be on my way...  You hungry? You tryna get somethin' to eat after?"

Adina groaned. "Ughh, yes, please? I ain't ate shit all day, servin all this damn food got my stomach growlin."

Chuckling. "Aight, I got you. I'll be there in like, 10 minutes." I responded.

"Okay, I love you." I could hear the way she spoke through her smile.

"I love you too."

This girl got my heart, yo. It still scares me...I know if this shit comes to an end imma be absolutely torn...That's why I gotta be careful. I can't lose this girl.

I hung up the phone before making my way to put on my shoes.

"Who was that?" Kim came from out of the bathroom.

"Nobody, Kim."

I only said nobody so she won't get on my fuckin' ass about this shit, dawg. Me and Kim ain't even back together, and will never be... I just need a fuckin' place to stay...but of course.. Kim's gonna do what she does and be all up in my grill.