Chapter 16

Rayne wandered around exploring after her shower. She'd taken so many pictures she wasn't sure what she would do with all of them. Maybe a photo journal to remember, not that she was likely to forget discovering her fiancé was a thug and then deciding to flee from him. She stopped and looked at the path, wishing she had brought the plant book. For a short second, she debated on asking Devin what some of the plants were, but that would be bothering him, and he'd made it quite clear she was to stay far from him.

She headed back towards the camp, deciding to download the pictures onto her laptop and begin a journal. Was there a power outlet at the shower building? Sitting by the lake felt like something she wanted to do. Rayne checked the sky, the clouds off in the distance were nothing to worry about, she hoped.

After she changed into shorts, Rayne gathered her laptop and a blanket and then headed for the lake. She stopped when it was in view, wondering how she hadn't realized how big it really was. Not just large but beautiful as well, so serene it wasn't at all surprising that Devin had been upset when she'd trespassed on his land. She wouldn't want to share this with just anyone, either.

Delighted when she found an outlet at the front of the building, she plugged in and set the laptop on the blanket, then sat down to upload the pictures, looking out over the lake. Not taking pictures now would be insane. She walked to the shore, pausing to smile at a family of ducks. They didn't seem bothered by her presence, so she wasn't going to get in their way. Rayne snapped a few pictures of the young ones following mom, she presumed, around in the water in a scattered line. A few ducks landed in the water just away from the family, so she took pictures of them.

Aiming to the opposite shoreline, she began to snap, bringing the focus in and out to get in as many angles as she could. Just as she thought she'd taken enough, a movement on the far side caught her attention. Lowering the camera, she noticed someone in a canoe was heading across the lake. She lifted the camera to zoom in on them. Her breath caught in her throat when she realized it was Devin. He was paddling with long, sure, strong strokes, she hesitated as she noticed that he didn't have a shirt on, before snapping the picture. She didn't want to impose, so she didn't take any more pictures, just used the camera to look at him from this safe distance.

Rayne zoomed the lens in further so she could see his face, the sweat on his brow. He looked troubled, as if he was thinking very deeply about something. The canoe was going fast enough to ruffle his hair as he moved through the water. His hair wasn't scruffy but it wasn't the short, neat haircuts she was used to seeing on men. It fell and framed his face when he put his head down as the canoe coasted through the water in a straight line. He really was very nice to look at. She took a chance and aimed the camera down to look at the rest of him. His sculpted chest was rising and falling as he caught his breath, he had really been working to move through the water at that speed. His arms were just as developed as his chest and for a fanciful second she wondered what it would be like to be held in those strong arms. Heat moved through her as she blushed at her thoughts. Aren't you in hiding because of a man? He lifted his head again and started to paddle, slower this time. Well, it doesn't hurt to just look, does it? She smiled at that thought as she continued to watch him through the lens.

He stopped paddling and looked right at her. She froze, not lowering the camera. There was no doubt he could see her, those grey eyes were looking right at her. Not sure what else to do, Rayne lowered the camera but continued to stand there and look out at him. He was heading in her direction. Of course he was, dummy, this is the shore and he'd have to come here wouldn't he? Did she pack up and run back to her tent or stay? It would be rude to run and hide and she didn't want to be rude. Suddenly nervous, she went back over to the blanket and sat down.