Chapter 33

Devin wasn't hovering outside the door as she'd imagined. In fact, she didn't see or hear him anywhere. She got as far as the open area at the end of the hall and knew she needed to stop and rest. A large couch in the sitting area called to her, so she elected to try for that instead of attempting to reach the kitchen.

Rayne had just managed to reach the couch and sit down when he appeared in the doorway carrying a tray.

Tilting his head, he gave her a once over. "Feel a bit like you just ran a mile?" She nodded, not trusting her voice. "I didn't think you'd sprint any time soon."

Rayne hoped the tray carried coffee because she really needed the shot of caffeine. He came over and set it on the table, she'd been half right. It had the coffee, toast, and juice.

"You really need to eat something in, or you're not going to feel any better."

"I know." She let him lift her legs and swing her around on the couch, while she trying not to notice the warmth of his hands on her skin. Rayne took the cup of juice he offered her and somehow knew she'd have to drink it to get the coffee back. She took a sip and watched him sit on the table. "You could have warned me that I looked like night of the dead."

He chuckled. "I thought it was better that you looked for yourself."

She grimaced, he was right.

Shrugging, he leaned down onto his knees, his eyes wandering all over her face. "I was going to go check and make sure your tent and things were still there, get you some clothes..."

Rayne dropped her head back and closed her eyes, she hadn't even thought of that. "Yes, please." Opening them slowly she looked back at him. "I know I'm not supposed to thank you, but I am, again. This..." she waved a hand around in the air, "...is a whole new world for me, and in case I have been faking too well, I really have no clue." She turned her head to avoid looking at him and noticed her camera sitting on the table. She straightened up. "You found my camera." It came out in a mumbled way.

"It was still in the canoe when I swam out to it..."

Rayne snapped her head back around to look at him. "You swam out to it?" Is he insane?

"I didn't have to go far, the wind was pushing it in faster than I could ever swim."

She knew her eyes bulged open as she looked at him. "Are you crazy? To swim in that? I may not be Miss Wilderness here, but that—that was not something anyone should have attempted."

His brow creased as he watched her. "I thought you were still in the canoe and I wasn't going to leave you bobbing around the lake in the middle of a storm."

"Oh." She looked at his arms and over the rest of his body slowly. "What else did you have to go through to find me?" Pains of guilt flashed through her. Not crazy, just heroic.

Devin shrugged. "I pulled the canoe along the shore, hoping you'd made it to the shelter." Her eyebrows shot up, not knowing what shelter he was referring to. "You were blown in the other direction I'm guessing." He rubbed a hand over his chest. "I have a bit of chafing from the strap, and got really, really wet but it's nothing."

Rayne set the juice down and sat up. "Chafing?" She knew what chafing was, mostly but she didn't know what he meant.

He exhaled slowly and straightened up and lifted his t-shirt up. There was a red bruise running across his chest.

She swung her good foot off the couch and leaned closer. "You tied the canoe to you?" He looked from her to his chest and started to lower the shirt. Rayne stopped him and gently ran her hand beside the mark.

"Yeah," he sucked in a breath as her fingers carefully caressed it.

"You need to put something on this." She rested her hand against his warm skin and looked back to his face. "Get me some ointment and I'll put it on." Rayne completely felt awful now that he'd gone through this because of her.

He leaned back, causing her hand to drop away. "I did." He pulled his shirt back down quickly and sat up straight, his hands on his knees. The guilt must have been visible on her face because he sighed loudly. "I'm fine, it doesn't even hurt."

She bit her lip and studied him for a moment. She was going to apologize again, and as if he knew what was coming, he jumped up.

"I'll go check on your stuff." He stood looking down at her. "Eat the toast and I'll be back shortly."

She nodded without saying a word and watched as he almost ran from the room. Rayne waited until she heard the door close and dropped her head back onto the couch. She wasn't hungry, she was just plain tired. Guilt over what Devin had done again flooded through her. Begrudgingly she looked over at the tray with the toast on it. She'd eat the toast, just so she didn't burden him any longer than needed.