Chapter35

After some long moments of internal torment, she stirred in his arms. He was ready to get up when she turned on her side and snuggled into his chest. Her hip rested against the throbbing hard-on in his pants, and he could barely control the drive to give into his urges. When he looked down and noticed the robe gaped and one creamy breast was visible, he quickly pulled the robe closed. Forcing his eyes away from her breast, they traveled back up to her face to see her eyelids flutter open before she looked up at him. Does she have any idea how sexy she looks right now, half asleep? I'm sick, I know this now, she is exhausted, injured, and medicated and all I want to do is rub my naked body against hers. Her eyes fluttered again, and her lips curved into a small smile. Did she know what he was thinking?

"You're so warm, it's nice."

Warm? That's an understatement. I'm on fire from the inside out.

"Do you want me to move?" She whispered breathlessly, causing his heart and other parts of anatomy to respond.

Did I? "No," he said quickly before she did. "Just rest." He slid their combined weight down a bit further so she would be more comfortable. The movement shifted her hip so it rubbed over the bulge he was trying to ignore. He may not make it with his sanity intact having her close, but she needed to rest.

Devin placed his hands on her back, concentrating on not moving them over her body. She sighed again and turned her face into him, her warm lips brushed over his throat as she placed a sweet kiss against it. He squeezed his eyes shut and forced his body to go rigid so he wouldn't grab her.

Her warm body squirmed around while she got more comfortable. "Stretch out, you can rest too," she mumbled.

Does she know what she was asking of me? Could he lie with her, on this suddenly very small piece of furniture, and just rest without touching her? He hadn't even decided what to do when he realized his body was doing just that. Careful to not jar her foot, he flipped them both on their sides, so they were facing each other.

"Much better," she whispered against his throat.

Devin swallowed and counted to ten inside his head. "Rayne?" She made a noise that caused her lips to vibrate against his throat, spurring flames that engulfed his guts. "I can't resist you. I'm going to..."

"Then don't," she sighed and leaned into him more.

He lay there feeling the heat from the length of her body against him, trying to decide if he'd heard her correctly. Her warm breath against his throat was driving him crazy, he had to get up, now.

"Devin, kiss me. Then rest," she mumbled as she leaned her head back.

He'd get up in a minute. One kiss, how can I say no to that? He couldn't resist a small taste of her, at least this was his reasoning as he lowered his mouth to hers. Devin hesitated close enough to taste her breath, and before he could decide if he should her arm snaked up around his neck and pulled his head towards hers.

He only meant a mere touching of lips, just a small taste, but the second her soft lips brushed over his, he completely forgot. Her warm mouth opened to him and he grasped that opportunity to plunge his tongue into the wet cavity of her mouth. She tasted of home and sin, and he didn't know how he was going to stop.

Devin ran his hand down her back, pulling her tight against him. Flames shot through his groin, tightening with anticipation. She gasped into his mouth and the last threads of logical thought flew from his mind. He wanted her in a way he'd never wanted another woman in his life, and here she was in his arms, against his body. Rising onto one arm he leaned over her, without taking his mouth from her eager one, then he pinned her to the cushions with his whole body, reveling in the feel of her beneath him.

Her small hand grabbed his hair and pulled so he couldn't move away, not that he had any plans to. He was drinking her in, as he worked out how to manage this on the couch. Devin wasn't small and he didn't want to hurt her any more than she already was. Then he realized the last thoughts, and if someone had poured ice water over their heads, he didn't think he would have come back to reality faster.

Wrenching his mouth from hers, he buried his face in her neck and tried to remember how to breathe as he dug for the will to move away from her. Her fingers continued to move through his hair as she hugged his head to her. "Before I forget you're..." Her mouth moved against his ear and lust surged again. "You need rest, I can't do this." Devin moved back and his lower body slid off the couch. Coming to his knees, he looked down at her glazed eyes and had to clench his jaw to stop from climbing right back up there with her. "You need sleep, hun."

He pulled her into his arms and walked with stiff legs towards the bedroom. This was where he found out how strong he really was, he thought as he lowered her to the bed. Now, walk away. Devin stood there looking down at her, with her golden hair spread across his pillow and felt his resolve fading quickly. Before it was completely gone, he took a step back. "You rest."

She gave him a sleepy smile and his heart skipped several beats. "Okay," she rolled onto her side and closed her eyes.

He continued to stand there, his eyes roving over her, his heart softening even as his body still throbbed. Devin hadn't even realized he was moving back towards her until the bed bumped against his leg. Rubbing a hand over his face, he turned to get out of there, stumbling over his own feet as he did.