Chapter 61

Rayne lifted her face to the sun and inhaled deeply. She would never get enough of feeling like she was part of the surroundings. Hearing a splash behind her, she turned and smiled at the children antagonizing each other along the shore of the lake. It was a sound that thrilled her. It was a sound that should always be heard here.

One of the girls ran towards her. She was only five or six and smiled as she reached her. Holding up her hand, she opened it to reveal a shiny stone.

"This is for you, Rayne."

Rayne knelt and hugged her. "Thank you."

Giggling, she ran back towards the others. Laughing, Rayne examined the stone and closed her hand around it.

Devin stood near the deck with his father, Calum, and Gage. She only had to take a few steps in that direction before she had his attention.

As she neared him, Rayne could feel his eyes caressing her and couldn't help to smile at him. She wandered leisurely in that direction and watched as the men spoke to him, but he showed no indication that said he was even listening to them.

Gage laughed and smacked a hand on Devin's back when she was only a few feet away. "You didn't hear a damn word we just said." He glanced at her and winked. "I think his mind was elsewhere."

Rayne laughed. "Really? Not very leader-like, is it?"

His father laughed and shook his head in his son's direction. "I'd say we need to make sure Rayne is present for all important discussions then."

Calum shrugged. "Or completely out of sight."

Devin glared at him as he wrapped his arms around her. "I was listening." He leaned down and dropped a kiss on the top of her head. "You just weren't saying something I had to add anything to."

She looked up at him and felt a shiver pass over her skin from the heat in his eyes. "I have something to say—to all of you. Will you listen to me?"

Devin grinned, his eyes moving over her mouth. "Always."

"Good." Rayne pulled out of his arms and turned to look back at the children playing by the lake and the parents relaxing in small groups. "I want this." She motioned around them.

Devin rested his hands on her shoulders. "You have this, what is mine is now yours."

She patted his hand. "I know that but you're not following me. I want this camp to be filled with life again. Whether families come here to vacation or we bring those in need of protection here, it doesn't matter I just want life here again."

Devin turned her so he could see her face. "We can do that."

Calum cleared his throat. "Explain the protection part."

Rayne looked from one man's face to the other. All towered over her, all powerful and proud. "I know Aiden's operation, I know his numbers, his associates... I want all those that are trapped under his thumb to be free and safe."

Devin's eyes became serious. "You're not going back there."

Before she could reply his dad put a hand on his shoulder and spoke softly. "She doesn't have to go back to help the Alliance."

She nodded. "I can give you all the information and the strongest from each pack can go and get our people."

Devin's eyes filled with pride, as did the other men when she said that. "If you want to set up shelter here for them, I support that."

Rayne smiled and hugged him again. Sighing, she turned towards Calum. "Will you help?"

Calum grinned at her. "You know it." He cleared his throat and looked at them. "I just have to take care of something first."

"The missing clan members?" Gage inquired softly.

Calum nodded. "I'm pretty sure I've managed to pin-point the general area that they're vanishing from."

Frowning, Rayne touched his arm. "What do you mean vanishing?"

Devin released her and leaned back against the railing. "Some males from Calum's clan have gone missing and several of their family members have appealed to him to find them."

"That's awful. Of course, you have to."

Calum looked down at her for a few moments. "I will—and now I have somewhere safe to bring them until we know what's going on."

Devin watched her closely. His eyes were burning a path all over her. "With that settled, all of you need to get the hell off my land—I'd like to have a few days alone with my mate before she turns this place into a zoo."

Rayne's jaw dropped open at his words. "You will not be rude, Devin." She looked at his father and shrugged. "All of you can stay as long as you like. Help yourself to anything." Stepping closer to him, she ran her hands up his chest. "Devin and I won't be here of course, our plane leaves in a few hours."

He frowned. "Plane?"

Nodding, she moved her body into his. "It's taking us to some remote fishing cabin for three days."

"Remote?"

"Very, very remote. Your mom is inside packing for us right now."

He pulled her into his body and picked her up. "Guess I'll see you guys in three days."

Rayne shrieked as he headed towards the door leaving the men behind laughing.