✎ fifteen

the office was silent when i walked in. it seemed jing yuan was in his office, but the others heads turned once they heard the door open.

"so...?" i sighed; rumors definitely spread quicker here than at high school. i couldn't tell who had asked the question, but they were all expecting a response.

"im going back for this season." the entire office erupted in cheers while i rapidly tried quieting them down. "shush! mr jing yuan doesn't know yet!"

"he doesn't know you're coming back?" luocha asked, returning after two weeks of travel. the group deadpanned before yukong spoke up.

"he doesn't even know she skates."

"who does what?" my heart started to race and my skin went pale as jing yuan stepped out of his office. "ah, y/n, you're back!"

"yes, sir." i nodded frantically. "is there anything you needed?"

"i was thinking about doing chair shopping today, would you come with me?" beside me, sushang snickered. i nodded to his question and grabbed my things.

"of course, sir." i smiled following him out of the office.

"how was your time off? did you get everything you needed done?"

"yes, sir, i did. im satisfied with how things played out." jing yuan sighed contently.

"good." he said, starting up the car. "im glad. the morning was quite uneventful without you, though."

"ah, my apologies, mr jing yuan. it was unprofessional of me to ask for leave the day before."

"no, dont be sorry, y/n, its okay." we made it to the department store quickly, entering and heading towards the office chairs. i looked around curiously — while we were shopping for mr jing yuan, i couldnt help but think about what chair id want if i could get a new one.

the first chair looked incredibly comfy. jing yuan inspected it thoroughly, from the curve of the back to fit his posture, to the comfort of the seat. he looked over and called me to him.

"come sit, y/n, what do you think of this one?" i awkwardly took a seat on the chair, wondering why he'd ask for the opinion of someone who'd never use it.

"its really comfy, sir." i mentioned, sinking down further into it, shutting my eyes.

"alright then, i think this is the one. miss! we'll take two of these." i froze in the seat, my eyes meeting his.

"two... sir?"

"im getting one for you, dear." he grinned. "as a thank you, for everything you've done for me." my eyes widened, and i gasped. besides jing yuan, no one in the office had gotten new chairs since yukong was first hired.

"sir... y-you shouldnt-"

"but i am, y/n. you deserve it." he held out his hand, which i took politely to get off the chair. my cheeks burned red, and my heart began beating significantly faster than it had been before. "now, lets go back, hm?"

jing yuan payed for the chairs, a worker helping load them into the back of the car. although i offered, jing yuan insisted that i didnt have to carry anything.

once we got back, the rest of the office were wrapping up. there were a couple hours left, but most of the sales were over for the day. i locked eyes with tingyun, who snickered and looked away.

"lets set this up now, yes?" jing yuan smiled, bringing the box behind the reception counter. i nodded, grabbing scissors from my desk and opening it.

it didnt take too long, both of us sharing the work equally. i sat myself down in the chair and closed my eyes, sighing in satisfaction.

"you do too much for me, sir." i mumbled. the office was empty, except for jing yuan, myself and fu xuan, who was in her office finishing up documents.

"i don't think im doing even close to enough, y/n." a heavy blush rose up my face and i turned my chair away.

"sir..." my voice was close to a whisper. the two of us were silent, the tension making me shiver. jing yuan rested his hand on my shoulder and squeezed it gently, a shock running through my veins.

"ill see you tomorrow, y/n." i got up and grabbed my stuff, turning back and sending jing yuan a grateful glance.

"ill see you tomorrow, sir."

————

"i cant believe i bought her a chair." jing yuan sat in his own that fu xuan just finished, hand running though his hair, stressed. fu xuan clicked her tongue, standing by the doorway with her arms crossed.

"i cant believe you did either. well, actually i can." she chuckled. jing yuan sent her a glare, while turning off his computer.

"what the hell am i doing fu xuan?" the woman rolled her eyes and stepped closer to him.

"you figure out yourself boss. you've been teasing her since day one, but at this point, it doesn't seem like just teasing to me."

jing yuan pondered this statement. y/n had caught his eye from the beginning, but he didnt think his nonexistent feelings would possibly become real.

"aeons, fu xuan, im so lost." he groaned. "and on top of this, i just have this feeling that i dont know something important about her yet. i just want her to feel comfortable, but.."

fu xuan held back a laugh, already knowing what that something was. y/n had her reasons for not telling jing yuan — perhaps it was his blatant interest in her. but either way, she knew what kind of a person jing yuan was. stupid, yet smart. playful, yet caring. a lovesick puppy

"im sure she'll tell you eventually, sir." fu xuan finally replied. "but you should head home for now."

"alright." he grabbed his things and began to leave the office. fu xuan called to him before he left.

"you know, you're a big fucking simp." she laughed. "i mean, buying her a new chair? aeons, its so funny to watch."

jing yuan scoffed as he made his way out. while he could deny the term simp, he couldnt deny his feelings for y/n.

a/n: simp chain here