Elira Abbot

It was weird weather. Foggy, gross, but it wasn't freezing.

Decent sweater weather. I was bored. My dorm was boring. I lived with three other girls, one of which was a biomedical engineer student so she was always studying, I didn't want to bother her.

The other two were best friends who enjoyed indulging in injecting drugs and parties.

Which was fine, they were kind to me.

But I had trouble with the whole friend thing when these people have grown up here together their entire lives.

I was from another state. I lived in Utah, unfortunately, drowned in strange religion I never understood with the pretty white dresses and pulling my black hair out of my pale face to look presentable for god.

I moved. So far from all of it.

My family was too picture perfect but I didn't fit where they wanted.

My dad a businessman who donates thousands to church charities often, always in a suit and tie, my mom with her hair and nails always professionally done, fixing me in her image.

I'd love to say they actually were religious but they liked pictures and praise more than Sunday services.

I tried, but my mom always said I was a bit odd. Too conservative, but too showy, too girl like, but too womanly, to promiscuous looking, but not giving people enough to talk about. Too pale, hair too dark, eyes too black, bags too aggressive, nails too bitten, lips too plump, too pink.

I was often compared to a ghost as my veins ran dark under my icy skin.

But according to my aunt I was tan compared to a vampire.

Speaking of, I heard Virginia was good for seeing them so I came here.

Small town college was slightly backfiring but I'd rather be alone than strung up on a shelf for my parents to constantly talk about and pick at.

I went to the library and did some research.

All i'd heard of is vampires and wolves of sorts. No one said werewolves so I'm wondering what kind.

I wanted to write a paper on it for one of my classes.

I sound like the supernatural obsessed human who'd let any supernatural creature have at my throat but no.

I was just curious, never would I let them touch me, that seems dangerous and something more than I could feel confident handling.

There were definitely vampire fuckers at this school who loved having sex with them, even possibly dying at their hands.

The psychology behind that is also intriguing.

I read through the book, stopping when it came by the fact that dead vampires usually have larger tombstones than humans since their lives are longer.

I wanted to see so I checked the book out, placing it in my tote bag and going to my dorm to change.

Black sweater and jeans, pulling my hair into a ponytail, my curtain bangs falling and brushing along my cheeks.

I got in my car to go.

-

I drove to the nearest graveyard, covered in tall trees and a lock on the gate that I climbed disregarding the no entry sign.

I walked along the isles, careful to only be on the bricked path so I didn't step on anyone's area because although they're dead, I wouldn't want anyone stepping over my grandmothers grave like that.