Elira Abbot

I couldn't sleep at all. But I woke up and packed on enough makeup to make me look mildly awake.

I got dressed and saw breakfast on the table, sitting I began eating as I looked in the dim kitchen and saw him staring at me, body bent over the island, elbows on the counter, hands covering his nose and mouth, eyes as black as a humans pupils, red veins threading through them and under the dark purple eye bags he wore. Hair a dark, straggly mess.

"Not better?" I asked.

He shook his head no.

My heart ached.

"I'm sorry. I wish I could help or at least minimize it."

He nodded, shutting his eyes.

My heart must be racing.

"Change me today. After this. How does it work?" I asked.

He cleared his throat.

"I'll give you my venom-" his voice was coated in rust and hunger, "I'll drain you, you'll be asleep for about a week, and wake up."

"That's it?"

He nodded.

"Okay."

"You sure? You don't have to if-"

"I want my husband to not feel miserable is what I want." I said and he paused, giving a soft smile as he nodded.

I was torturing him with my presence.

"Would it be best if I drove and met you there separately?"

He nodded.

I felt my throat ache with an emotional lump as I tried swallowing it down.

"I'm sorry. Don't cry baby." He stood, walking to me.

"It's okay." I smiled, wiping my face of the heavy tears running down.

He reached for me, I scooted back.

"Don't do anything that hurts you, Kain." I said.

He dropped to his knees, wrapping his arms around my waist, pressing his face into the gap of my thighs.

I knew they couldn't cry, but I knew he felt bad.

"Who knew craving something good could make you feel so terrible." I joked through a tear, wiping it from my face.

He didn't answer, still just holding me.

He wasn't breathing, his skin was hot to the touch though.

"Oh my god, you're burning." It was as painful as touching the oven rack after heating something in there.

He shouldn't burn. He's dead. He should be freezing.

"Baby, stop your burning." I peeled him from me and he looked up at me, desperate.

"I'm sorry." He whispered.

"It's not hurting my clothes, but I know it must be hurting you." I frowned.

His face was tortured.

"Let's go so we can speed this up." I stood and grabbed my bag and keys.

He sat on the floor.

"Please? Come on."

"I can't go a week without you." He whispered.

Goddddddd fucking fuck.

I wanted to cry for him.

"Maybe it won't be that long."

"I doubt it."

"The time gets longer the more you wait." I tried and before I could blink he was gone.

-

I showed my ID.

"You agree to this?"

"Absolutely." I smiled.

He confirmed everything.

"Congratulations."

And we left.

I touched his arm when he avoided looking at me and I hissed, even warmer than earlier.

"Let's go home."

He nodded and drove although I heavily protested.

His removed his shirt, placing it over my lap as he held my thigh over it.

It was still hot but not skin curtailing.

He took deep breaths, only making things worse for himself.

He stopped at a store, putting things in the trunk as we went home and he told me to wait, drink water, and watch something.

I did.

Before I knew it, he brought me to our bed where he made the white bed, laid rose petals down, lit so many candles and had my favorite snacks laid out.

"Eat them. Please." He whispered and I did.

They were delicious and worth the stomach ache.

He grabbed a cold cloth and kept it over his mouth.

"What's that?" I asked, chewing on my toasted bagel with cream cheese.

"I don't want to burn you."

"It's alright." I mumbled.

"While your asleep is it okay if I use a cloth to wash your body and regulate your temperature as your heart stops?"

"Of course." I nodded.

"Can I change you once you are halfway in transition? The first three days you'll be freezing but the last few youll be regulated-"

"Yes, my husband can change his wife."

I smiled and he nodded.

I went and brushed my teeth, not wanting to be smelling rancid.

Although I noticed Kains breath has no smell at all so I think I'll be fine when I'm up again.

He offered a hand and I took it, interlacing our fingers.

"Do you want different clothes?" He asked.

"I should be alright."

I wore flare leggings and a heavy sweater.

He stared down at me in fear and love.

"I love you." I told him.

"I love you more."

"I'd do anything for you in a heartbeat. You'll be fine this week, my blood should keep you full for a while, things will be okay." I nodded.

"Okay." He whispered, kissing my forehead.

"Ready?" He asked, pecking my lips.

"Another." I whispered and he kissed me again.

"One more." I smiled and he chuckled, kissing me.

"Now I'm ready." I had so many nerves.

I don't think my brain was processing that I was about to die.

But I never felt safer than I do now.

"And yes you can touch and kiss me while I'm asleep and I promise it's okay to hold my hand too." I teased.

"Smartass."

I smiled as he leaned down, kissing my throat.

"Relax. Breathe." He mumbled and I took three deep breaths.

He bit and drank and drank.

I felt so weak, my mind spinning before my insides burned with must've been venom.

But before I could think anymore, I was gone.