chapter one

Lies, if Taeil says he didn't foresee any of this - Doyoung is asking him to stop coming to his campus. He knows that this day will come, sooner or later, but for entirely different reasons. Lies, if Taeil said he doesn't feel disheartened knowing the reason why Doyoung didn't want him to come anymore.

On his way to deliver a few side dishes, fresh vegetables, a few types of salad dressing, and medication for Doyoung's upcoming heat - he overheard the other students talking about him and questioning why Omega, as pretty as Doyoung, wants a short, dirty Alpha like he is.

It seems like they already know that Taeil is a broken alpha. He doesn't go into rut, he doesn't have a dominating pheromone, he can't smell anything, and he doesn't have a big, tall, masculine alpha physical.

Taeil is just like another beta - even most betas can be scented by an alpha. What can a broken alpha have to brag about? None. Nothing.

That was none of Taeil's concerns for years. Being a broken alpha never affected him in a troublesome way; it didn't hinder him from living his best life. And he was glad to be one, if Taeil can be honest. Being a broken alpha has helped him to take care of a dominant omega, perfectly and well.

He doesn't need to worry about not being able to control his lust. Nor his rut. He doesn't hide behind a rut to justify rape. Taeil was happy, and never in a thousand years did he want to be a functioning alpha.

''That salty scented beta?''

''He is not a beta; I heard that he was an alpha,''

''He is short though; even Doyoung is taller than him,''

''The salty scent is his sweat,''

''Eww,''

''He looks old too, like, eww,'' the student said, fake vomiting. ''Do you think he might force Doyoung into a relationship? I heard that Doyoung once lost his memory after a big accident that killed his parents! ''

''Ya! You heard that too!?''

''Yes!''

''For real, like, pretty omega, sexy, smart-do you think he would settle for a broken beta or whatever?''

The students laughed at how unfunny their takes were.

''Oh, I also heard that he forced Doyoung's hands for engagement because he wanted the land. Apparently, the land was under Doyoung's name,''

The groups make a sound of shock so dramatically, ''Well.. the other student was speculating because -''

''Ekhem,'' Doyoung said, making a loud sound to remind the group to lower their voice. Taeil is standing not even far away from them.

The group left them with not even a hint of guilt. Few of them even let out a low, mocking snicker.

''You don't have to come here any more; I don't want them to keep talking about you,''

''Are you ashamed of me?''

''That's not what I meant!''

Doyoung is beautiful, with his tall and thin figure, his pale, a little bit red skin, and he smells so nice (though Taeil never smells him - people around them keep on praising Doyoung's pheromone. That is why Taeil had been teaching Doyoung to always use scent blockers whenever he left his room).

Doyoung is also a very open person; he doesn't judge anyone, and anyone can come to him since he is a very good listener. He is also quite an introvert, so their secret will be kept with Doyoung.

He is also one of the oldest students taking his degree; he somewhat draws so much attention just by being the oldest omega pursuing his studies.

Back then, Doyoung used to be a very active Facebook user. He updates about everything that happens in his life; he even updates about going to poop in real-time. He doesn't fancy secrets; there is no secret between him and his friends on Facebook.

His last post on Facebook was about his parents meeting with an architect - the same day his parents were caught in an accident that killed them. Along with an architect and his wife..

The architect is Taeil's father. The wife is Taeil's mother.

Doyoung was in a coma for months; soon after he woke up, his lower body was paralysed, and he didn't remember most of his memories. He was alone and lost. He doesn't have the resources or energy to fight for justice for his parent's deaths.

No. Taeil doesn't have any idea why his parents were chasing after Doyoung's parents' car, nor does he have any idea who Doyoung is. What happened? Who is to blame?

Taeil flew from Manchester to Seoul as soon as he finished his final paper after hearing the news. He is as shocked as most people were.

He was waiting for maybe Doyoung's cousin or any relative, but none of them came for Doyoung. After putting the pieces together, Taeil decided to take full responsibility for Doyoung. He doesn't have any idea who's right and who's wrong, but all he knows is that Doyoung was his responsibility.

He was 23 years old when he decided to take care of 17-year-old Doyoung.

Now he is 33 years old and perfectly manages to take care of a 27-year-old fully grown adult omega - until the point of never giving a single thought about himself.

Everything he had done in 10 years taking care of Doyoung, only to take care of Doyoung. Doyoung and Doyoung only.

Hearing even young adults call him uncle when he was still in his mid-twenties used to not bother him. As he knows how ridiculous the beauty standard in Korea is, he was just a few shades darker than most people. He knows he looks decent.

Because he works under scorching sunlight and he is always proud of it, his skin being burned is proof of how hard he works to give Doyoung a good life.

But now that Doyoung is ashamed of who he is.. Taeil never thought that one day the daily words he heard along the way to his farm could hurt him this much.