19. Alone

I run as fast as I can, my ankle begins to throb. I finally get the courage to look behind me, unable to see the walkers or Daryl. I scan my surroundings but nothing looks familiar. My breathing is heavy and fast as my eyes grow teary, shaking my head slightly as I continue to look around "Daryl?" I say, loudly. Half jogging back in the direction I came, though I'm not exactly sure that's the right direction. "Daryl" I shout, a sharp pain twisting inside my gut as I try and shout for him again, but I choke on the words, quickly bolting off, trying to search for Daryl. "Daryl" I manage to finally shout out, hearing nothing my my own feet pound against the ground, thud-thump echoing in my ear. I ran for a little longer, dodging trees as I fail to see or hear Daryl, Or even any walkers. My heart pounds inside my chest as I lean my back against a tree, sniffling back a cry "Daryl" I whimper out, sliding my back down the tree. Small pieces of bark stick to my shirt, pressing my face into my hands as tears trickle down my face.

*An hour or so passes and I refuse to move as I sit still with my back pressed against the tree, staring at the empty scenery ahead of me. Everything hurts, a painful twist constantly swirling inside my gut. Unable to get the thought of Daryl out of my head, replaying each moment I spent with him. And then the feeling of emptiness and loneliness fills me. I shakily push myself up off the ground, pulling the straps to my back-pack tighter before walking in whatever direction seemed safest. I don't know why I kept moving, maybe because there was the part of me which hoped and prayed that Daryl was okay and still out there. Maybe even looking for me, but I somehow convinced myself that he wouldn't. I mean, why would he bother? I let loose a softened sigh, gazing toward the sun, hanging low in the sky. Another sharp twist inside my gut, sunset is almost here. I pick up my pace, making my way toward the road. One, two, three, four. Four walkers I count. Holding my knife firmly as I make my way toward the first one, they're scattered all over the place. I drive my knife into the first walkers skull, forcing it deeper as one last groan is released from the walkers mouth before it's body becomes limp and I kick it to the ground, yanking my knife out of it's head. Doing all this with a emotionless expression, I take a deep breath before dragging my feet toward the second closest one. Repeating my actions, these walkers are weak. Which means they haven't eaten in some time, before I can make it to a third I stop beside a car, turning my framework toward it, gazing at it a long moment before glancing toward the falling sun.

"Looks like I'm staying here tonight" I mumble, extending my arm out and clicking the door open, slowly climbing into the car. I shut the door behind me before tossing my back-pack onto the drivers seat, leaning over and locking all the doors before twisting the lever at the side on the passengers chair, pushing my back against it. Making it fall back, I stare up at the roof of the car, my hands now place on my chest as I lay still, slightly shivering as the cold night takes over. My eyes slowly flutter shut, my body laying heavily against the seat as I roll to my side, cuddling myself. "D-Daryl" I mumble quietly, a frown on my face.

I run fast, tripping over a long log. I blink hard as I groan, wondering why I always end up falling over or hurting myself? I open my eyes with a sharp turn of my head, looking at the small child screaming, I quickly get up and rush over to her, wrapping my arms around her 'Shh, it's okay' I whisper, stroking her hair gently, I pull back to look at her but she's gone, and I'm hugging a small boy, he's back is bleeding, I pull back as he groans and tries to bite me. Quickly turning and running away, but I fall to the ground as I bump into Daryl, quickly scrambling up and wrapping my arms around him but he pushes me away 'Daryl?' I look at him with teary eyes but he just glares at me and chuckles 'Dumb bitch' he mutters and begins to walk away, I feel my whole world fall down into pieces as I shake my head, the tears falling freely down my face 'Daryl! Don't leave me!' I shout, watching him as my whole chest falls and is filled with a aching pain, one I've never felt before 'Daryl!' I force myself to run, grabbing onto his shirt 'Fuck off ya stupid skank' He growls as he stops and stands still 'NO!' I shout, clutching tightly onto the back of his shirt, forcing the tears to stop and my expression to become blank 'I'm not leaving.. I won't. Not again' I breathed heavily, watching as his shirt disappears from my grip. Leaving me alone again, I spin in a circle, my chest dropping once more, the aching pain returning again, along with a feeling of emptiness. 'Im sorry.. Please.. I need you, Daryl' I drop to the ground as my knees become weak and buckle.

The feeling of warm tears trickle down my cheeks, the salty taste lingering in my mouth as some fall down into the parting of my lips, licking my lips a little before pressing them together, slowly sitting up from the car seat, awakening from my nightmare. Though the pain lingers inside my chest, the emptiness. I inhale a deep shaky breath, the cold air stinging once it hit the back of my dry throat, I reach over for my bag, pulling out the bottle of water and taking a few sips, the sun only just raising.