Small Wins

The next day I woke up feeling refreshed after spending the previous day with mum. It was lovely to hang out with her and catch up on what's been happening in the past two weeks. What was the highlight of our day was cooking supper together and watching a movie afterwards.

I had missed that.

When I was sure I could walk without falling face flat on the floor, I walked towards the bathroom to wash my face and teeth then went downstairs. My phone vibrated with a message from April, she called yesterday asking me to go at her place.

"Please come and safe me from Melissa, she won't stop nagging. She even threatened to come over at yours if I don't convince you."

Read the text message from April. With a groan I slipped my phone in the pocket of my gown and continued downstairs. In the kitchen I found mum humming a tune while she made breakfast.

"Hey honey! Sit down, I have made your favourite." She beamed at me.

"Thanks mum, but you didn't have to." I told her taking a bite of the bacon on my plate.

"Nonsense, and miss the chance to feed my favourite daughter?" Was her reply.

I don't know when was the last time I saw my mother this carefree, I don't even think I have seen her this happy. She looked younger and I liked it. "You mean your only daughter?" I retorted sarcastically.

Breakfast was filled with laughter as I told mum about Sophia and her antics. My mum couldn't help bu wonder where I meet such friends. "Speaking of friends, I should get ready. I'm going over to the April's house" I told mum taking a sip of my coffee before taking my dishes to the sink.

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Mum asked with a frown.

"He won't be home so that's okay, plus I can't keep avoiding my friend because of him." I told mum and went upstairs to get ready.

An hour later I was ready to go and I took my keys and phone before rushing downstairs. Mum was on the phone when I got downstairs, so I signaled to her that I was on my way and kissed her cheek before walking to the front door.

Once I was in Soph's car, I put on my seatbelt and drove towards the Reigns mansion. Music played on the radio as I drove, I knew April said her brother wouldn't be there, but I couldn't stop worrying. I was in a good mood and I didn't want anyone ruining it.

After the thirty minutes drive I arrived at the mansion, and pressed the intercom asking security to open for me. The long gates parted and I drove the long driveway towards the house, for the first time in years I felt like I was intruding by being here. There weren't any cars in the driveway except April's car. That's a good sign, right?

I parked the car and took a look at the mansion in front of me, for the past years, it had become my second home. But who was I kidding, I stood out like a sore thumb here, clear indication that I never belonged here. Some of Alex's distant relatives questioned why he was with a poor girl like me, but he always defended me, I guess he got tired of it.

The Victorian style mansion had always took my breath, especially it's rich history. The Reigns had old money, a well that never ran out. This mansion had been in the family for three generations, they keep renovating it to keep it on its feet.

My phone vibrating pulled me from my thoughts and as I looked at the screen I saw that it was April texting.

Come in already!

I shook my head and got out of the car and walked towards the front door, before I could know on the heavy wooden door it opened. Someone must have missed me, and it was not April.