Gossipmongers

People wrote self help books, motivational and spiritual books talking about how to deal with this or that, but I was yet to read one about playing with fire or the zoo animals in our bellies. I mean what was the explanation for putting a hand on top of a blazing hot stove while you knew that you'd get burnt but did it anyway. Does the zoo in our stomachs mean animals have people in their bellies?

I asked myself these questions as I stood in front of the mirror in the bathroom, hesitating to go downstairs where Jake was currently. I couldn't believe everything that transpired yesterday, from my mum and him at the restaurant, to the whole issue with Jakes.

Speaking of my mum, I woke up to find so many messages and calls from her. I couldn't talk to her, not anytime soon at least, what she did was unfair on both of us. I didn't understand why she would break bread with the same person who left us with no bread to eat while he gallivanted with his other family.

Then there was Jacob, what was I thinking flirting with him and more importantly singing Ego! I need to start using my head and not other organs. Deciding it wasn't a good idea to stay hidden in the bathroom I took one last look at myself, took a deep breath and walked out.

You can do this!

As I took the last steps downstairs I heard Jake cursing and I rushed to see what was going on. Jake was standing behind the stove, with an apron around his waist, and his backside looking yummy in the black jeans he wore. The black jean was paired with a black sleeved shirt hugging his biceps nicely.

He looked like he was in his comfort zone, his hands moved with ease as he kept staring the contents inside the saucepan and the other pulling open the oven. I watched silently and fascinated as he switched off the stove after tasting what he was cooking before nodding to himself.

This was the Jake I didn't know, that his students didn't know and in that moment I was happy I was the only one witnessing him. It was in the past twenty four hours I got a glimpse of his different personalities, I saw Jake my boss, Jake the homeowner and Jake the protector. My favorite had to be the one I was seeing now.

"Like what you see Kitten?" His deep voice said catching me off guard.

How long was I staring at him?

"N-no, I wasn't looking at you," I stuttered looking away.

What was going on with me? First I was flirting with him, then I was thinking he looked yummy and now stuttering? I must be under some spell and whoever is responsible had to stop.

Shaking my head I looked at him, green eyes met brown. I was expecting a mocking stare in his eyes, but I was met with tenderness and warmth I never expected. No man had ever looked at me like that and this threw me off my game. I broke the staring contest and cleared my throat that was filled with emotion before speaking.

"I should probably get home, the girls are waiting for me," I mumbled looking for my handbag.

"Already? I was hoping we could eat breakfast...I cooked," He said I'm a thick accent.

There it was, that Australia accent. It seemed like it made an appearance when he was filled with emotion. I wanted to stay, but the way he looked at me scared me to the core. It was those we loved that held the power to break us the most. It had only been a short while and Jake already had so much power over me.

I couldn't and shouldn't allow him to have more power over me!

"April is at my place and I already told her I was on my way. I haven't seen her in-"

"It's alright, can I at least drive you home?" He asked after interrupting my rant.

With a smile I answered him "Yeah, I would appreciate that."