Let's Go Shopping

It felt good to be back at the apartment, waking up in my new bed, but I also miss mum. Even though I was awarded this scholarship at the perfect time, a huge part of me always shuttered when I have to live mum behind.

For the past twelve years it was her and I against the world, we were each other's constant thing in this world. I know mum was happy that I finally get to do what I was passionate about, but it was still heartbreaking to see me go.

When I left home yesterday evening, it hurt a bit less than the first time I left her alone. Mum wasn't crying, which was an indicator that she was getting used to me being away, or she was seeing someone. April couldn't stop snickering when she saw mum blushing as she read messages on her phone. It was beautiful to watch, but also weird.

This morning I woke up to mum's text wishing me a good week at school. I wanted to ask her about the man, or woman making her blush, but decided to wait for her to tell me. Mum's dark skin hides her blushing face, but I know my mum enough to see the colour in her cheeks. Good for her.

Putting thoughts about mum dating at the back of my head, I walked towards the bathroom to wash my face and hands so I can get started on breakfast. Walking towards the kitchen I took wireless headsets from my pj pockets and blasted music, I love many artists and don't even know who is my favourite, but I loved listening to Tailor Swift or Adele.

Soph deserved to be pampered after I left her for the entire weekend, she loved my pancakes the other day so that's what I'm making for her. I danced my way around the kitchen as I made prepared pancake batter instead of just using pancake mix from the stores.

Soph liked her pancakes with berries, while I loved mine served with crispy bacon, so I opened the fridge looking for bacon and berries. The fridge was almost empty, it only had eggs, fruits,sausages and syrups. No bacon or ham in side.

Argh! We needed to go but groceries.

I guess blueberry pancakes was my breakfast for today. I finished up preparing breakfast and set the plates on the kitchen island before taking out a cup from the cabinets. I needed coffee. Just as I turned back from the coffee machine, I came face to face with Sophie scaring the living shit out of me.

"Damnit Soph, do you want to kill me or something." I said breathing heavily.

She mumbled something I couldn't hear and then gestured to her ears. Oh! I still had headphones plucked in my ears. As I took them out she rolled her eyes and set down.

"What were you saying?" I questioned her, interested in what she was saying.

"That I wouldn't have to kill you if you played music at a lower music." She said with a yawn.

I took her plate and placed it in front of her, then handed her cutlery and maple syrup. "Coffee or orange juice?" I asked taking a sip of my coffee.

"I will have coffee, thanks." She said politely.

Sometimes I forget that Soph was not normal, she was raised like royalty. Her world was very different from mine, she was well mannered and though it was clear when we first met that she wasn't used to doing things by herself, she was not lazy or afraid of trying new things.

Sophia was pampered and shielded her whole life, hence I was so skeptical about leaving her alone this past weekend. She was not used to being alone, or doing house chores, but she was coming along just fine.

Even though we haven't talked about why she ran away from home or knew each other that well, I could tell the life she was leaving now was different from what she was used to. Unlike me, Soph doesn't hide her feelings or emotions, but I'm afraid to ask what transpired back at home to run all the way to London because she might expect me to also open up to her.