Paint the town red

Dedicated to joannestokley

Looking at the clock on the wall, I saw that class would be over in just five minutes. My concentration was no longer in last class, this was my last class of the week, and I couldn't wait to get out of here. April had texted thirty minutes ago that she was leaving home to our apartment and I wished class would finish already.

Seeing April wasn't the only reason I wanted to get out of here, I was running away from Chef Jacob's lingering stares. We had two lessons with him on Friday, the first one being at the top of the morning and the other one being at three o'clock till five.

For some weird reason I liked knowing that he stared at me, but it wouldn't take anyone a few minutes to see him doing so and questioning him about it. I know how this industry works, if words get around that there's something between us (even though there's 150% nothing going on) I would be labeled as a culinary slut. Sleeping my way to the top.

If there's such a thing.

"I hope you are all done, because we have run out of time." Jacob's deep voice filled the small room.

For the first hour of the lesson, we were focusing on dealing with meat and fish. The correct way of cleaning both of them, almost times chefs had to clean their own protein. Cleaning fish was a challenge for me, and I truly struggled to get the hang of it. After dealing with protein, the second hour we were writing a test.

I had finished the test fifteen minutes ago, but chef Jacob told us we had to wait for everyone to finish before leaving. So here I was two minutes before 5PM tapping my fingers on the desk. After what felt like a hour class was dismissed and we handed in our papers. I turned to my right and found Sophia napping, why didn't I think of that?

"Soph" I softly called out and she raised her head to look at me.

"We gotta go" I stated.

Sophia yawned and walked with me to the front of the class where chef Jacob was waiting for us. The last students were just getting out of the door, leaving the two of us. Soph handed her paper in and I followed suit, avoiding to look at chef Jacob. As soon as he took our papers we walked out of the building.

As we neared the parking lot, a voice that didn't belong here called out. A voice that had no reason calling me- what was Alex doing here and how did he find out exactly where to find me?

"What are you doing here Alexander?" I asked, my voice filled with frustration.

"Can we talk?" He questioned walking towards me.

Soph had also stopped walking, she was looking at the scene unfold and I could tell that her mind was working overtime.

"No! I told you I don't want to talk to you, so leave Alexander." I hissed at him hoping he would listen.

"It's either we sit down and talk like adults, or I will keep coming here till you do. So the choice is yours." He said breathing heavily.

He knew I hated confrontations, but hated being nagged more. And if I knew him as I thought I did, he will persists to come here till I caved in. So the only way out of this is sit down and listen to what he has to say, hopefully he will leave me alone after.

"Go on, you will find me in the car." Sophia announced when she saw the look on my face.

"I don't know how long this is going to last, and I don't want A to wait long for us. Go home, I will figure a way to get there." I said to Soph.

"I will drive her home." Alex volunteered.

"No you will not!" I said giving him a dirty look.

Sophia took that as her cue to leave and walked to her car, leaving me alone with Alex. After Soph drove off, I turned to him and walked towards the café, not even bothering to check if he was following me.