Best man

I'm not expecting anyone to visit. Tomo and I are in a moment of some couch cuddling until someone rang the doorbell. I quickly went to the door to see who it is. Never bothering how I'm still half-naked.

"Karen."

I shut the door closed and told Tomo to dress up. I went to wear some white shirt. Nevermind about this boxers.

I went back to the door.

"Sorry. Come in..."

I'm blushing with embarrassment right now. She ran her fingers back through her short hair as she enters the room.

I let her sit in the kitchen. I sat right in front.

"What brings you here?"

Tomo went in wearing his shirt.

"Oh, hey Karen."

"Thompson..."

He went for me and kissed me on the head.

"I'll leave you two for a while."

"Where are you going?"

"I'm just gonna buy some stuff..."

He shut the door leaving us two in the kitchen.

"It's quite fascinating how you two ended up well..."

"I know, right? So what are you doing here? I thought you're working in London?"

"I just got in the neighborhood. I thought I'd visit my best friend. And it seems you two we're actually busy."

"Not until you rang."

I rolled my eyes laughing at her. She chuckled.

"Sorry, I didn't know."

"I'm actually glad you came to visit. It's been a while. How are you these days?"

I took the coffee in the cupboard and made us two.

"Thanks. Well, as I know, you don't know yet about me and James."

"You mean the one you met in that airport? I thought you hated him."

"That's what I thought. I'm actually going to ask you if you could be the best man."

"When? You mean you're already gonna marry? How long have you been out actually?"

"For the last three years..."

She blushed.

"I'm quite disappointed, you never told me?"

"The wedding will be on July. In Los Angeles."

I agreed to be her best man. I always wanted to be one once in my life.

The wedding started the next month. Thanks to Karen, her favorite color is blue so it was made the motif of the wedding. It'll be good for my hair.

I'm on a blue suit with a black tie. My hair slicked up looking my best as Karen's best man. I'm going to escort the maid-of-honor, Erika. She's in a sky blue dress with her hair curled and ran down with blue flowers in strands. I actually missed them all this years.

"Chirochi! Look here!"

Tomo's standing from the chair taking a picture of me. I smiled at him and went on. He's seated beside Calvin. I'm guessing James are with them. Since Karen isn't even close with Calvin.

"You may now kiss the bride."

The thought of the wedding is actually astounding. The elegance, the music, the event itself.

I looked up as the petals go down. I'm astonished as I could ever be.

I noticed Tomo looking at me. I smiled at him. He smiled back.

At the reception, Tomo sat with Calvin and his former basketball team. It's quite nice they're all here actually. I bet they're all talking about their lives and such. As the best man, I get to sit right next to the bride with Mrs. Sanchez at my left.

"I haven't seen you since you were little. How are you?"

"I'm actually good, Mrs. Sanchez. Congratulations to your daughter. I never saw this day coming."

She laughed.

"You're so cheeky. That's what I told her."

Karen has told me to make a toast at the reception. After dinner, I held my glass and made it. I speak.

"I would like to make a toast. First, I would like to congratulate the newly wedded couple, James and Karen. As most of us know, Karen and I are such great friends. She's beautiful. But I never thought of seeing her walking down the aisle ready to get married."

The guests laughed.

"As far as I know,  James and Karen met in an airport somewhere. I think it's Los Angeles International Airport. Am I right?"

Karen nodded at me.

"James is actually Tomo's batch mate. He said he was prominent back then but I didn't know about him until Karen here, had been yapping about this guy she met at the airport back when we finished college. I didn't know what happened next. I didn't even know that they went out."

They all chuckled.

"Now they're here, actually and finally got married. I'm proud of you Karen!.. Congratulations to the both of you."

The guests clapped. And so as the couple.

I finally sat. I looked upon the couple. They actually look cute together. Karen gave me a thumbs up. I never really thought that was a good speech. Awful rather but at least I made it.

We drove home after the wedding.

"What you think of?"

It seems Tomo noticed how strange I look staring at the car window.

"I just thought how great weddings are..."

He looked at me and back the road.

"I wish we could get married like that."