The End - 2

"I will always be there for you, Annika." Shivaay murmured and kissed her forehead.

Annika fisted his kurta in her hands as she leaned into his warmth.

No, he won't. One day he will leave her like Chutki.

***

"We want to adopt Aryan." Shivaay told everyone at the dining table. Everyone was mostly overjoyed.

"That's great, Shivaay. Aryan is a great child." Om wished the best for the child wholeheartedly.

"We still need to talk to Aryan though." Annika said to everyone.

"There is something else though." Shivaay said and looked apprehensively at his family.

***

"Aryan." Annika and Shivaay looked at the little boy, trying to read Annika's Python programming textbooks from college. They both silently laughed. Aryan was 8 years old, and here he was, the curious kid, that wanted to learn somehow.

"Yes, ASSO and SSO?" He looked at them innocently.

Annika and Shivaay exchanged a glance. How would it feel when or if Aryan ever called them Mom and Dad or Mumma and Papa?

"It would feel really nice." Shivaay whispered to Annika who nodded, smiling.

"Yes?" Aryan raised an eyebrow. For a second, it felt so much like Shivaay that Annika giggled.

Shivaay looked around awkwardly as he struggled to ask the little boy if he would like to stay.

Understanding her husband's dilemma, Annika took the lead, "Aryan, would you like to stay with us?"

"For how many days?" He asked and her heart sank.

"How about forever?" Shivaay whispered.

***

"Breaking news. Sultan's estate is set to be used to compensate survivors of the sex trafficking ring he orchestrated. Orphanages across the country have been exposed as his hubs for forcing orphan minors to sleep with politicians and businessmen. Apart from that, photos of these kids were distributed on the dark web." The host of the morning news read.

Annika froze as that news played.

Chutki.

Chutki.

Chutki.

She did not pay attention to anyone and left the mansion silently.

***

"What do you mean, Khanna?" Shivaay furiously questioned his security in charge.

"Sir, she left an hour ago, and she took a taxi." He relayed the information. "The team is tracking her location, sir, as we speak."

"Hire more security at the entrance. There is no way Annika can ever leave without protection again." Shivaay commanded.

"Yes, sir."

Shivaay hung up the call and was about to throw his phone. His wife, his pregnant wife, was out there somewhere alone, without security and anyone. Why was she so infuriating?

When he was about to cause the demise of his umpteenth phone, he got a call.

"Bhavya, is everything okay?" He asked as she never calls while he is at work.

"Bhaiyya, Bhabhi is gone, and I think it was because of the press conference the police had." She said.

"What press conference?"