Chapter 1

Break ups are never easy, hell sometimes it even feels like the end of the fucking world is there to carry on your shoulders. When your heart is clenching, breaking into a million shattered pieces and the world around you loses its meaning, because all you care about is that one person.

That's how Josette Saltzman was feeling, this particular night. Empty hearted, betrayed, uninterested in anything but her ex lover. Was it really worth breaking the rules you might ask? Well, there would certainly be much more joy sitting in her room, probably bawling her eyes out with a tube of ice cream and watching some classic chick film. However, the brunette decided to go down the familiar rabbit hole of revenge, scattering books and pages around until she could find the perfect spell to cast on her ex lover. Should I really mention that she was also in the restricted section of the library, or did you already guess?

The girl was lost in her books, until her eyes fell upon one particular spell of dark magic, ideally one that couldn't be traced back to her..perfect.

"This is certainly the one.."

Josette scribbled the spell messily on a piece of paper just in time before someone entered the dark and seemingly empty library, making the brunette flinch in fear of getting caught. She blew on the candle next to her and found the nearest spot to exit the library before the intruder caught onto what she was doing.

"Strange..it smells like a candle was lit a minute ago. Wait, why are these books out?"

Dorian, the headmaster's assistant was quick to investigate the scene left behind by the rushed brunette. It came to his surprise to find someone entering the restricted part and picking out particular books of malicious magic, that was certainly something alarming and worth mentioning to his boss.

The assistant made his way quickly to the office, where he found Alaric indulging in his usual late night drinking. The man was in distress and the news did not bring any ease to his mind, in fact it made matters worse. In an attempt to solve the mystery they agreed to interrogate the students tomorrow morning and with the help of a few vampires they would convince them to tell the truth, whatever it was.

However, this particular night another student was restless. You see it was becoming a habit for Hope Mikaelson to wander the halls at night, as she enjoyed the peace and quiet the darkness brought to the school. The halls were empty, no one was there to mock or jinx the tribid, a habit which most times than not made her particularly annoyed and unable to contain her magic. A few students had ended up being hurt by her actions. One could claim they were all an accident, just a teenager struggling to control all the power she had given.

However, a few knew, that the girl held a certain desire to overpower, and show who she really was. Her father's daughter. The daughter of the most fearsome and powerful vampire the world had ever seen.

"Isn't it kinda late to wonder around the corridors alone, Hope?"

"Not really, it's actually kinda peaceful if you'd ask me."

"Well, I'm not asking. You should be in your room by now. You have classes tomorrow."

"You should be in bed too, but instead you're drinking. You're not the one to lecture me, Ric."

Dorian laughed and mocked the girl who had the audacity to talk back to her headmaster, as always. Through the small crack of his door Alaric could see Hope smirking in the darkness which is something he couldn't let the girl get away with, yet he did. Let's say his bond with Hope Mikaelson was on a different level than with most students.

"I'll let this one slide, however I trust you're heading to bed soon."

"Soon enough."

The auburn delivered a polite smile, managing to get away was easy enough with the new information she had just discovered by overhearing their conversation. A student entered the restricted area and was probably going to perform black magic. Finally, something intriguing.

The next morning, the usual activities took place from breakfast, classes, to guided tours and prank wars, nothing out of the ordinary except..

"So I'll be expecting to see you tonight, then? My room?"

"Sounds like I can't say no even if I tried."

Penelope had just gained another date, boosting her confidence and arrogance through the roof, it hadn't been a week from the break up and the girl was already playing the field. This caused unimaginable rage to her ex-girlfriend , Josie Saltzman, who was watching the girls exchange shy smiles and flirtatious touching, and made her stomach feel sick witnessing this right first thing in the morning. Without much consideration Josie started whispering the spell she had practiced before falling asleep, probably a hundred times in her head and the impact was immediate.

"P...Penelope.."

"What?"

"Penelope, your hair.."

"What the actual fuck is this??
Help me??"

"I don't know what to do!!"

"Talk about playing with fire.."

"Someone help us!!"

A few students laughed and joked about the situation, however this joke was far from funny for the victim itself. The girl was shocked as half of her head was caught on fire, that seemed to spread quickly around her whole scalp, slowly burning the skin underneath dangerously.

"Auguamenti!
You two, come with me, immediately."

Emma rushed the girl to the infarmary to get treated for her burn, not failing to inform the headmaster right after about the unexpected event. The interrogation had to take immediate effect, and Alaric trusted that his daughters should go first, if anything he knew he could get information through them.

"We have a serious situation, girls. Somebody tried to harm a student today."

"Penelope had it coming, to be honest."
Elizabeth twisted a strand of hair between her fingers uninterested.

"What's that supposed to mean??"

"Uh, what Lizzie meant is that with her arrogance a lot of people have it out for her. It could be anyone , really."

"Even you?"

"Dad, there are much more interesting things than Penelope Park around the school. Who would even care?"

"I know Josie would. Didn't you two just break up not long ago hm?"

Josie lowered her gaze to the ground, palms getting sweaty at an alarming rate.

"I know that would potentially make me a suspect, but I don't even know what spell caused this damage to her.."

"A student was out late last night reading all about it.."

Suddenly another student made her way into the office, interrupting the heated interrogation and possibly salvaging Josie out of this situation.

"It was me. I did the spell."

Hope lies.

"Hope Mikaelson?"