Chapter 14

"M-Mom..."

"Josette.
"I've been told you wanted to see me."

"Of course I wanted to see you.
Oh..look at the state of yours.
What happened mom?"

Hope stands by the door watching the exchange between the two quietly while Josie leans over the bed, looking at her mother with concern.

"I've been quite ill for a while.
That's why I haven't been able to contact you as much as I would like."

"Dad should have told us."

"Dad was merely protecting you."

"He always does that."
Hope adds.

"Hope?"
"You're here too?"

"Of course I am. I've been trying to develop a cure alongside the teachers at school."

"Don't you think you should be dealing with school instead of all this?"

"School can wait.
Finding a remedy is more important."

"How's your research going?"

Josie looks back at the auburn expecting to hear that her and her dad had made progress but Hope shakes her head in denial, trying to ease Josie in the matter.

"It's taking time and effort, there isn't much information on the specific illness that your mom has but we will find it..."

"There must be something we can do!!"

"Josie, relax sweetheart they are doing their best."

"You call that their best? They were keeping this a secret for God knows how long!!! How many more secrets are they keeping from me?"

"Remember, it was for your own safety baby...."

"Mom, that's enough.
I can't believe you're on their side!!"

"Your mother really needs rest,
We should head back.."

Hope interrupts and tries to ease the tension.

"I'm staying.
You can go."

"Uh, no you aren't."

"Leave me alone, Mikaelson.
You've already done enough."

Hope frowns visibly and takes Josie by her hand, seeing her mother was already having a hard time talking to them. The woman looked completely weak and unable to handle all this drama.

"You don't mean that."

Hope and Josie find themselves outside of the room, the brunette following the other unwillingly. They whisper in order not to make a lot of fuss and alert their grown ups about their situation.

"Who do you think you are stepping all over my family matters thinking you're in control of everything???"

"If you haven't realized already I'm trying to help you."