Chapter 12

For the next following days, Josie felt like she was watching from the sidelines, while the new boy who appeared from the ashes named Landon got acquainted with Hope. The two of them, considered to be the 'outcasts' or simply abominations of nature, found comfort in each other, and naturally gravitated into trusting one another growing closer by the day. Landon couldn't remember anything past what happened that night, he didn't know why he wanted to harm those students, or how he turned into a monster, most importantly who was behind all this. And Hope felt nothing but alienated from the rest of the students because simply she held so much power that people were either scared of her or wanted nothing but to antagonize her. Landon was the only person who saw Hope for what she truly was, understood the length of her power but needed none of it and the last few days had proven that she wasn't in fact in danger from him but the opposite.

Hope Mikaelson finally looked like she was letting go, finally letting someone approach her without worrying that she's going to be betrayed, used or hurt. Even though she didn't know Landon's true intentions yet, or who was the one who turned the boy into a monster something urged her to take care of him, to make him feel he wasn't just another lost cause.

"So you're a hundred percent sure that you don't remember anything about turning into a monster? You don't remember anything, at all?"

Alaric sighed.

"I truly hope I could remember something, anything to help you. But it's all a blur in my head..."

Landon explained to Alaric. After accommodating the boy for a week they had to finalise the decision on whether they would let him stay in the boarding school or send him back.

"Ric, he has nowhere to go and no one has asked for him. You couldn't possibly think that sending him back is a good idea!"

"Hope, this is not your decision to make."

"I don't recall having any family."

"Foster parents?"

"No."

"Look, Landon. This place is designed for creatures that hold massively destructive powers. Nothing like you've ever seen before.
It's not safe for you here."

"I can protect him.
I will make sure no one gets near him-"

"Hope!"

"I understand that, but I also know what happened that night might happen again.
I might also pose great danger to them."

"That doesn't make your case any easier."

"It also means I'm not powerless."

"He has to stay.
This school is meant to be a safe space for people who don't belong anywhere else.
Do you see anywhere he can go?
Because I don't."

"I get that, but the responsibility falls on me. I can't risk anything happening to the students. They are above anything else."

"He is staying."

Hope said persistently and gave Alaric an ultimate look of desperation and plead. She wasn't going to let the one thing that kept her sane get taken away from her, to her this was becoming more of a personal matter.