Chapter 15

"It reminds me of the past, when we were little girls. Strange I know, but I do miss that sometimes.."

"It's not strange. All that distance, Hope.
That's where you went wrong.
We could have this and so much more..."

Josie's words lingered with a deeper meaning.

"Well, I've been thinking about it. But every time I think about it I feel...scared.
Scared of being attached again."

The brunette turned to face the other, with fascination and curiosity but also understanding. It wasn't like Hope to admit she was scared of anything or anyone so she was slightly surprised to be having that conversation.

"I understand, we both have our fears, fear of disappointment, fear of hurting each other. But maybe, just maybe, we can overcome those fears together."

"I've always felt like there was something special between us."

Hope's voice almost trembled upon the realisation, looking deeply into Josie's eyes she didn't know how to interpret what she was feeling.

"I feel the same way, I've thought about it a lot but I just don't know if I'm reading too much into it."

"I keep feeling too introverted when it comes to you. I'm worried it might make things awkward between us that's why I haven't said anything."

"Well, I'm already onto you Mikaelson."

The brunette's face turned bright red, as she turned away to avoid the intense eye contact at the same time shoving the auburn making her linger at the edge of the bed which made them laugh momentarily.

"What about you and that boy, Landon?"

"I was just caught up in the moment with him, nothing serious."

"Oh, he looks like he's quite attached to you though. I mean you particularly saved him from himself."

"But I'm here now, aren't I?"

"Yes, that's what's makes it special."

"I promise you, Josette.
Nothing bad will ever happen to your mother or to you."

Josie breathed out slowly, closing her eyes upon feeling a sense of relief and safety along with her tiredness. Her head steadily leaned against Hope's shoulder. Her words felt better than a love confession.

"Rest assured, I will do anything in my power..."

Hope trailed off, realising that Josie was slowly falling asleep. She closed her own eyes, tried to steady her breathing and let herself immerse in the comfort of Josie's presence.

The next morning, before most of them had risen out of bed Hope decided to go for a run, around the familiar neighborhood to ease her nerves. While running her head was occupied with million thoughts, all revolving around Josie's mother, the late night conversation she had with Josie, her involvement with Landon and how confused she was feeling.

Strangely, she felt another presence lurking around as if someone was watching her but every time she checked her surroundings there was nothing.
With a clear head, she returned back to the house finding everyone having breakfast happily as if Caroline's life wasn't on the line.