Chapter 27

"Welcome, your Holiness Rory, as well as her followers. I am the owner of the Reader's Rest, Hamal. It is my honor to personally serve your Holiness during your stay here. This is no idle boast, but even in the ancient city of Rondel, the Reader's Rest can be considered one of the most aged of our many historic institutions. And now, thanks to the patronage of your Holiness, this humble establishment can tally another mark of honor upon its long and distinguished history."

The innkeeper Hamal was clearly not human at first glance - not only was he huge of body, but his skin seemed to be red in color. Once he asked around, Itami learned that he was a Pooka, a species which was adept at commerce.

Separated from them by a counter, the innkeeper handed a guest register to Rory. At the same time, a palm-size Fairy descended beside the book, quickly producing a pen for them.

Rory accepted the pen with a "Thank you", and then signed her name with grand, sweeping strokes.

The innkeeper beamed with satisfaction as he read out Rory's name.

"Rory Mercury... as expected your Holiness' calligraphy is impeccable. your Holiness' name will also become a point of pride for our household, and it will be passed down through the generations."

After Rory signed her name, Lelei took up the pen and signed for the other three. However, during this time, the innkeeper continued speaking only to Rory.

"Your Holiness, may I ask why you have come to this place?"

Everyone knew that Rondel was a city of learning and knowledge, so all the shrines here were dedicated to gods of wisdom, knowledge and so one, like the God of Wisdom Elranyala. In turn, it was practically unheard of to have an Apostle of Emroy visit this place.

"Actually, I came to accompany this girl."

As Rory spoke, she gestured with her eyes to the innkeeper. Only then did he seem to realize that Lelei existed, and he muttered "The Rurudo girl?" He eyed her from her silver hair to the tips of her toes, as though he were licking her body with his gaze. Apparently, the Rurudo were a very rare breed of humans, living a nomadic lifestyle with no fixed home.

"A sage's robe... I see, is she a freshly-admitted student?"

Rory simply smiled without saying anything.

"Welcome to Rondel. I will arrange for your rooms, which will be the best in the house, of course. I pray your Holiness and her followers will wait here for a few moments."

The innkeeper blew his whistle, summoning the boys who did odd jobs around the inn. Soon enough, Brownies, Pookas, Hobbits, and youths of various species filled the room.

"Add another bed to Room 2 on the fourth floor. Tidy up Room 3 on the other side as well. Hurry!"

"Yes, Hamal-san!"

Several of the servants dashed out after receiving instructions to add another mattress to the three-person room.

Others, who did not have anything in hand, encircled the group while saying, "Let us help you take your luggage."

"Uwah, this girl's really cute!"

"She's beautiful. Look, her golden hair's so pretty!"

"You lot! That's a guest! Don't be rude to them!"

"Your Holiness. Please allow me to take your halberd."

One of the servants took the halberd from Rory, and then he began to yelp "Uwaaaaah!" as he felt its weight. At the same time, he lost balance in shock and fell to one side.