Chapter 14

✧✦✧

That same day

We went to get McDonalds, and as always, I got a happy meal. Now we're just sitting in Mateo's car.

"So, can I ask why I'm picking you up?" Mateo asks.

"So Valerie tells you to pick me up instead of coming herself, but she doesn't tell you why? What even made you decide to actually do it?" I'm in disbelief.

Mateo doesn't necessarily dislike me, but I have given him no reason to actually like me, yet Valerie convinced him to come get me without any explanation whatsoever.

"Well, it sounded pretty important." He looks at me like that should be reason enough. which is absolutely insane. Who goes to get someone just because it 'sounded important'? This guy is more than just a dumb soccer player; he's an idiot.

"Whatever. What's up with the fairy costume anyway?" I asked to change the subject, as it was getting far too awkward.

"So you finally decided to ask," he says with that stupid grin of his. He seems more excited about me asking that than what I would prefer.

"Yeah, now when someone asks about something, usually the person being asked answers," 'too harsh?'

"Yeah, yeah, my sister wanted to play dress up, so William and I kinda just went along with it," he shrugs his shoulders, 'nonchalant much?'. Although that reminds me so much of what my brother and Alexander would do for me, which makes me like him just a tat more, I would of course never admit it.

"Nice," I say, trying to open the toy that comes with happy meals. I know it's dumb, but I still care about what toy it is. I won't necessarily keep it, but I like to know what I got.

We sit in an awkward silence for a while before Mateo decides to speak up again. "Are we going to go back to why I'm picking you up?"

I sigh. "I don't really feel like talking about it. Maybe next time?" Hopefully, there won't be a next time. But you never know, and I won't exclude this from being a future solution to my problems.

"Do you know the way to Valerie's place?" I ask, as I don't know where else to go. It's not like I've made the best first impression on the kids in my school.

"Yeah," he says, looking at me with worry in his eyes, like he generally cares about my situation, but I doubt that's the case.

"Can you drive me there?" He hesitates, but ends up driving me there.

The car ride is incredibly awkward; every conversation I try to spike up, he shoots down. I'm not aware if he just likes to drive in silence or if he's annoyed with me, but to be frank, right now, it doesn't really matter all that much to me.

It seems unlike Mateo to be this quiet, as he is probably the loudest person I know aside from my sister. The road is filled with holes, like it was built a while ago, but at the same time, the houses on this road look like they were built yesterday; it's the perfect contrast between old and new.

Before I leave the car, Mateo calls out my name. I turn to him, and he only looks at me without saying anything. "Yeah?" He continues looking at me, but then shakes his head and says, "It's nothing; I'll see you around." I nod and leave.

"It was awful, Rie. I had just gotten home, and they were yelling at me for not taking my sister with me. They always do this; it's not fair." I'm on the verge of crying.

"I'm so sorry, Katrine." 'I miss my brother' "Wanna watch Disney movies?" she adds.

"For sure! Do you have Oreos?" My question may seem odd, but I love Oreos. Oreos is like my comfort food; it was something Oliver always got for me, something he just always had in his drawers.