Chapter 16

✧✦✧

Noah walks up to Valerie, he looks like he's about to explode, and if looks could kill I would die on the spot, because he looks at me like he wants to tear me apart bit for bit.

Honestly the look he gives me scares the shit out of me. It's like he's mood can change the weather, because suddenly the clouds turn gray and the sun is gone.

"Get her down there and fix it!" He doesn't even bother shushing his voice as he almost shuts at Rie. Of course Rie doesn't take it and whisper shouts "how the hell is this mine and Katrine's problem" back at him.

"Please Valerie, this game is super important" he begs.

I hear the sign all the way from where she is standing to where I'm sitting.

Val strides over to me and I can already feel that I won't like to hear what she's about to say.

"Katrine remember how Lee did you a favour the other day?" She starts but I cut her off "you mean how he did YOU a favour" she sighs again. "Yeah how he did me a favour, I need you to do me a favour in exchange I'll do whatever you want." I think about it already knowing the answer.

"Okay I'll do it" Valerie looks ecstatic "come with me and hurry up, halftime is almost over"

We walk down the bleachers and onto the field, and that's when I start to realise what this is about, but still not why I'm here. Mateo has been playing like absolute garbage the whole game, and that's when it click.

"Val it's not what I think it is, is it?" I stop in my tracks, she rolls her eyes at me "you're so dramatic, god. But yes it's exactly what you think it is"

"I refuse" I state, much to my annoyance she brings up that I already said yes and drags me down to where Mateo stands.

"Katrine, do whatever it takes to get him to play better. I don't care what you have to do or say, just do it" she whispers in my ear before leaving me stranded in front of Mateo.

"Hey" I say and he looks up, his brows are raised in surprise "hi" he responds, "what are you doing down here?" He asks.

"Honestly I'm not sure, but apparently Noah thinks I can help you play better so I was dragged down here"  he laughs a strained laugh, "of course you didn't come on your own accord" his smile stays although I doubt he's happy.

He moves and makes space for me to sit down.

"Mateo, you need to play in what, 7 minutes? What in the world is wrong?" I ask genuinely.

"You" he says like that would make any sense to anyone but him.

"Me?" I really have no idea how I'm supposed to make him play better if I'm what's wrong "do you want me to leave the game?" I wouldn't mind leaving but it's kinda cruel to say I'm the reason he's playing bad and then make me leave.

"Yeah you, that fact you're here but you aren't cheering for me, and no I don't want you to leave" he looks defeated, like he doesn't even want to go play anymore.

"Oh" I say, then sigh because what I'm about to do goes against everything I believe in "what would motivate you to play better? What can I do that would help the situation?"