22

1 year and a half later

"I have no other option but to dismiss you from duty. You have proven loyal to this country, and you have aided us as a soldier. But you risked your life and everyone else's today, you made a mistake. You should do what the commanding officer tells you, and you refused. You're officially discharged." My colonel stated, offering me one last respectable salute before sitting in her chair. Her dark black hair had wisps of grey, pulled back into a tight bun. Not one hair out of place, mine was the same. My uniform was the only remaining thing that attached me to the Army.

They had discharged me over a mission that I had wrongfully taken charge of. I was told to step down, it was too dangerous to go in, and after two weeks of intense recovery, I was now standing in an office where I was officially no longer a soldier. The bullet that lodged itself into my thigh was now just a sore scarred over section of my leg. But the bullet was worth it. I understand why they have to discharge me, I put myself and my fellow soldiers in danger. But my morality was far too strong to dismiss in the moment. I had to save the child. And I would do it again if I had to.

My time in the Army had taught me a lot. It left me with wounds that I might struggle to heal, but it taught me lessons that could save my life. It changed me. Just as I hoped it would.

"Thank you." I offered a salute, relaxing when she dismissed me from her office. My back rested for a second on the door as I shut it, releasing a long breath as I knew what I needed to do now. My feet took me away, seeing my bags ready and packed at the reception as I had suspected this is what would happen. I can't fault them, they made the right decision.

Being able to choose the right decision in a situation like that was hard, and I chose the wrong one. I understand entirely. They had no reason to keep me, I had to go. And now I have to go home. To Mel. To Emily. To Richard's business.

I was ready now.

—————————

My body ached after the long flight from America, more-so because we were delayed. I was irritated and tired, I needed to get hone and sleep. I was a little jet lagged and I needed to get back in a routine, being stuck at the airport was not aiding me in that mission. But now I was walking away from the terminal, being squashed by a very excited Mel.

"Oh my fucking god! You have muscles. Babe look at her!" She screamed at me as she pulled me in again, my gentle smile looking over Laurel. She nodded back at me, a goofy smile present as she watched us interact.

"I missed you too." I said, giving her a squeeze before dropping her to her feet on the floor. She looked over me, her eyes squinting as she tried to pinpoint something.

"You look... tough. It's different, I like it. But I need you to be soft too. I know that softy is still in there. Let me see." She said, squishing my cheeks together as she spoke in a baby voice. I smacked her hand away, smirking slightly before picking up my bags again and walking past her and Laurel.

"Let's go home." I spoke back to them, nodding my head in the direction I was going as Laurel grabbed ahold of Mel and pulled her after me.

"About that." Mel spoke quietly, seemingly worried about the news she was about to give me.

"Mel." I warned as I came to a stop, turning back at the two of them. Laurel spoke up this time.

"I've kind of moved in. And so has Emily." She said, squeezing Mel's hand.

"Oh you're okay. That's fine. Don't worry about it, there's still enough room for-... Hold the fuck up. Emily?" I muttered, baffled at the revelation. "How the fuck did that happen?" I asked, looking between the two.

"She may have stopped talking to her parents. So she came to live with us. I couldn't say no. You still have a room, she's in my old office." Mel said gently, letting go of Laurel's hand and walking closer as she placed a hand on my arm. "If you want her to go, she will go. But she's not stopped talking about you the whole time you've been gone. Just don't expect a warm welcome, you left without saying goodbye." She said, patting my arm and moving to walk in line with Laurel who had left to give us sone privacy.

"New car?" I asked, impressed. In front of them both sat a fresh looking BMW M5 in midnight blue. Laurel opened up the boot for me to drop my bags in the back, before getting in the driver's seat. "Shared car?" I asked another question.

"You're asking a lot of questions. Hush. Yes we bought a car together. Yes it's new. Now, are you going to take over Richard's agency?" Mel shot back, eliminating any more room for me to ask more questions.

"If he wants me to, I will. I promised him I would come back to it. I will honour that. As long as he still wishes for me to do so." I said, getting comfy in the back seat as she did the same in the passenger seat.

"He does. He's always asking me when you're coming back. Believe me, he wants you to have the business. It's good that you're willing to take over." Mel said.

"I'm looking forward to it. Something different. Challenging. How's Emily's new agent?" I asked, avoiding Mel's smirk as she turned to me.

"Jealous? It was Michael from floor three but Richard took over. Michael was fired. Emily's never said why. But she seemed to be happier with Richard. So she's okay. She also doesn't know that you're coming home, she's been busy. She got back two hours before you did, she's tired and got her first week off in a while, so be nice." She scolded. As if I needed to think anymore about how annoyed she's going to be with me. If the roles were reversed, I would be livid. I only had apologies to offer, no excuses.

"Don't worry about me. I'll be nice." I sighed, resting my head back against the headrest.