27

How could I ever think that being just friends was a good idea? What possessed me to mutter those words to her the other night? I could never just be her friend. It was never going to work. I could barely live knowing that all my hatred for her when I was younger was actually the opposite. The image that I had painted to cover it all up stung, because how could I possibly try and hide love?

"Kiana, are you coming? You have a meeting in- no, now. You have a meeting now." Emily confirmed as she looked over at the clock on the wall. She waited at the door as I collected my phone, pen and paper. I glanced at her as I walked past her, her eyes already looking up at me. I smiled softly as I looked over her again, before breaking my gaze away from her as she entered the meeting room.

"Kiana. It's so good to see you again."Mr Flack said softly as a broad smile took over his features. Mr Flack had known me since I was a child, and considering the fact that he used to be business partners with my father, he seemed to take to me more. Maybe it was because I didn't rely on abuse to get things done.

Mr Flack, or Jerry, was a middle-aged man. He had come around to the house on multiple occasions when my father needed someone to sort out his misdemeanours. Jerry was bald, but had a grey beard and a well-kept moustache. He wore an old tweed jacket, black dress trousers and brown brogues, with a pocket watch making an appearance from his jacket pocket.

Jerry and his wife were very important to me. Sometimes I catch myself pondering on whether or not my love for them exceeds the love I have for my parents. We hadn't been in touch for a while, maybe down to the fact that I was almost too busy or it was an equal lack of time. But even so, I wished I had. I knew that I could call anytime, but relying on them made me feel guilty. Because they had already given me so much of their time.

"Oh Jerry, you don't know how much I've missed you." I spoke gently as I stood across from him on the table, Emily took a seat next to me as I took another glance her way. She wore glasses, a pair that I had never seen before, but they suited her well. They gave her a certain look of elegance that drew me in. I brought nothing new to the table, her drawing me in seemed to be more often than not to the point where it was almost a routine.

"We've missed you too. Anyway, this is Finn, he's an aspiring lawyer. I thought it would be best to give him an idea of how Richard's CEO operated for when he gets promoted." He motioned at a smaller, younger man beside him. But the smaller, younger man beside his was not interested in meeting me, his eyes were currently devouring Emily.

"It's nice to meet you." I spoke sternly, pulling him out of his dreamlike state as he jumped on the spot, quickly putting his hand out for me to grab, which I did. His grip faltered at the strength of mine, a very clear warning evident.

"It's great to meet you too." He muttered, his eyes flashing back to Emily as she proceeded to look up as the room fell silent.

"Sorry- did you need me?" She whispered, two intense gazes making her nervous. She seemed to calm down a little when she met the third, Jerry's soft smile putting her at ease.

"No, not at all. You were just fine. What's your name, sweetie?" He asked cheerfully, offering a hand to her across the table as she rushed to stand, grabbing onto me out of habit and pulling herself up before grasping onto Jerry's hand.

"Emily. Emily Fox. I'm Miss Jones' assistant. It's so nice to meet you, Mr Flack." She replied, her eyes nervously glancing up at me as I watched over Finn. She placed a gentle hand against my arm as she let go of Jerry's, carefully offering it to Finn. "Nice to meet you." She spoke quickly as she barely shook his hand, dropping her's and then slowly sitting back down in her seat. Jerry followed suit, but Finn and I remained standing.