The Merge: Part 2

Author's Notes:

You make a pinkie promise,
You keep it all your life.
You break a pinkie promise,
I throw you on the ice.
The ice will kill the finger,
That once betrayed a friend.
The frost will freeze your tongue off,
So you'll never lie again.

~✦ ✧ ✦ ✧~

The two were sprawled out on the cobblestone ground in the courtyard of the monastery, panting heavily.

They looked at each other for a split second and then giggled.

"That...was...nice," Lloyd said between breaths.

"Yeah...nice," Kai repeated, out of breath as well. "Alright. Work time. Get up!" Kai stood up and Lloyd groaned.

"Fiiiinee," Lloyd stood up and stretched. "But don't blame me when I pass out midway."

He meant it as a joke, but from the look on Kai's face, it didn't settle well with him.

"Hey, it was a joke!" Lloyd scrambled to drag Kai inside. "Don't take it seriously! Jeez!"

Kai let out a dissatisfied noise but allowed the shorter to pull him inside.

Just as Lloyd took a step in, the ground started to rumble. They immediately went outside, in case the monastery fell because of the earthquake.

Lloyd felt the hairs on the back of his neck rise. A tingle shot up his spine. Next to him, Kai shivered. They looked at each other and a thought was passed between the two.

This isn't an ordinary earthquake.

They both ran inside to get their swords when another earthquake hit, this time stronger. Kai stumbled into a wall while Lloyd tripped over nothing. The duo redoubled their efforts and were on the Bounty faster than a blink.

"Alright, let's see what you are," Kai muttered as he pulled up a seismometer on the screen and Lloyd turned the Bounty's engine on. "WHAT?!"

Lloyd jumped at Kai's outburst.

"The earthquake wasn't in the goddamn earth!" Kai yelled as he pulled up more screens. "Where the fuck are you, then?!"

"Kai, how about we calm down?" Lloyd asked as he started to get the ship to fly.

"I'll calm down when EARTHQUAKES GO BACK IN THE EARTH!" Lloyd could tell Kai was ready to smash the screen into the ship.

Lloyd thought hard for a moment, looking up at the hues of orange and pink in the sky. The sun was setting, and he would have looked at it until it fully set, but he was in a hurry.

"If it isn't in the ground, then it has to be in the air," Lloyd thought aloud.

"STUPID AIRQUAKE!" Kai screamed. "GO BACK INTO THE EARTH WHERE YOU BELONG!"

"Do you think," Lloyd yelled over Kai's screams. "that this might be an after-effect of the Merge?!" Right on cue, a shaky purple-pink line ripped through the sky and opened to reveal a desert with a giant mechanism trying to come through.

"WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THAT?!" Kai and Lloyd yelled in sync.

The mech had the head of a squid, the body of a bear, the legs of a horse, and the feet of a tiger. There were giant silver gears where the parts were connected, and it was colored a dark brown and had splotches of crimson red everywhere. It had a circular emerald in the center of the head that seemed to have its own glow.

Lloyd tried not to think of where the red splatter-looking things had come from, or he might throw up and pass out. He looked over at Kai, but he wasn't faring any better. Although his face didn't show it, Lloyd could tell that he was afraid as well. His skin was a shade paler and his hands were slightly shaking.