Ambush

Author's Notes:

Cole is so fing gay coded that the writers gave him a rainbow sword at the temple of light.

I had way too much fun w this...

~✦ ✧ ✦ ✧~

Many people were punished for their acts against women, and it ranged from how much offense they did. Most of the young boys didn't get punished because of how little they participated in the sexist act. I wasn't around to find out what happened to them. But I did notice some more diversity in the workers around the village. There were no longer just women working—men were being taught how things worked around the village and were doing work alongside the women.

As planned, I stayed for a few more months to keep an eye on things. Everything was going smoothly if you would ignore the fires and street fights. Thankfully the fires were quickly taken care of and the fights were easily broken up. Almost everyone was healed and was free to go, and John had finally allowed Pixie to help him.

"Goodness, it feels like it was only yesterday when you came here!" Aunt Eva exclaimed as she hugged me tight. "Take good care of yourself and Chamille. And don't forget to make my dishes world-known!"

"Yes, Aunt Eva," I laughed. "Everyone will know how good your dishes will be."

She pulled away, teary-eyed. "We're gonna miss you two. Be sure to drop by sometime!"

"We will," I promised and tightened the straps of my bag. "Let's get going, Chamille."

And not as planned, Chamille is going to join me when we leave. According to her, Trixie wanted to live somewhere away from home, and she was going to bring her with us.

Chamille had been standing with Audie, judging Pixie and another person conversing. She looked up and then punched Audie in the arm before following me. We didn't stop waving until Aunt Eva, John, Audie, Pixie, and the rando were specks in the distance.

The first place we found was a large city with towering black buildings and yellow patterns. Imperium, as they called it. There was too much paperwork involved to get inside, so we went to the nearest city. The Crossroads. It looked shabby, but it wasn't bad.

There were many types of people, so two more strangers wouldn't bother them. At first, Chamille had formed both of us into two different people, and I tried making some money by making and selling food, but everyone thought I was a fraud.

Except for two kids.

The kid with curly black hair and an orange sweater had been complaining about Grab Barg to a girl with pink hair and whisker marks on her cheeks when they stopped and turned to look at the Puffy Potstickers I was selling.

"Screw Grab Barg," the boy grumbled as he stomped over. "I'm hungry. I need food to think. How much are the dumplings?"

"Kids under twelve eat free," I gestured to the sign dangling from the roof of the booth. "How much do you want?"

"I don't think..." the girl started but was completely ignored.

"A dozen of those dumplings and a bowl of noodles. Surprise me," the boy pointed at the Puffy Potstickers on display and the girl stared me down.

"Coming right up."

The two of them had come back multiple times and became regulars. Arin and Sora. Those were their names. Arin was a good kid, and Sora had finally warmed up and was starting to become friendlier to me. When I introduced them to Chamille, they didn't say anything bad towards her for being unable to speak and instead hung around more often.