Chapter 28

[A/N: Sorry for the wait!!!]

Dax's POV

"I bought my ticket from the long way round.

2 bottles of whiskey for the way...

Da da daii doo do doo "

"What's whiskey?" I whispered to Eustace as Domo continued to hum the song. "It's an alcoholic drink" she replied.

Alcohol?

I nodded and continued facing forward in the black jeep we were sitting in.

Not a word from Tyro or King in 2 days, after we came back from the 'battle royale' as they call it, we were sent straight home with no more than "get some rest" from some guards escorting us.

He was a very nice guard though.

We got a message the next day from Blake saying we were needed at HQ (headquarters) the next day, for a briefing of some sort.

Another mission, I suspect.

But that's thing. I'm not sure. No one is.

Heavy tension hangs in the air, baring down on us all harder than gravity. I feel like a sitting duck, and something is going to go –

BANG!

We jolted forwards suddenly and the driver let out a series of curses as he got out of the car to assess the damage. He had hit something, but no one could tell what it was through the thick cloud of grey smoke raising out of the front.

"Maybe I should assist them, I could fix the damages" Amo voiced, about to step out the car when Domo clutched his biceps tightly and shook her head.

She feels it too. The suffocating tension, the crushing feeling of foreboding.

After slamming down the hood aggressively, the driver ambles back to the driver side and flings open the door, unknowingly letting the foul smoke into the cramped space. "It will get us there" he mumbles to himself before starting the engine and driving off, ignoring the quivering of the car and the concerning cries of the engine.

We arrived at HQ and quickly evacuated the car. At moments, notice it could turn into a pillar of smoke and fire.

"Ah there you are, my recruits, Dakari and Eustace follow me, Domonic and Amour follow my assistant" Blake greeted as we walked in. We did as we were told and followed our respective guides.

Eustace and I sat in a room that looked much like the types in movies, used for interrogating people. This furthered the discomfort I was feeling, but I thought nothing of it. Not yet at least. "I have a mission for you..." he started, hands folded together and eyes constantly switching between us.

Something is on his mind. He is hiding something.

Eustace sees it too.

He continued to explain this mission, going into details – far too many, almost irrelevant. He is lying about something. He emphasised the importance of secrecy on this mission.

The first 3 times made me feel like I was special, like Eustace and I were finally given a key role in the team. It made me feel needed and wanted for my skills. But after the next 4 times, the daunting realisation of what he was asking drowned out my giddy feelings, turning it into suspicion.

He wanted us to keep it secret from the team. From everyone.

How strange.

We were to go to an island where they suspected someone essential to Perfide's plans was hiding. We were the ones going because he wanted it to be 100% covert and absolutely no fighting. Eustace was to use her skills to infiltrate a club as a worker and draw as much information from the suspect and I was to hack every surveillance camera and his phone. Sending back messages constantly, keeping HQ up to date.