Chapter 31

Tyro's POV

King forced me to watch 'Spy Kids' once and I have never once related to a children's movie... still now.

We wrapped ourselves in our new gear and took the gadgets we wanted from the suitcase Blake had dropped last night.

After the message had been caught in Dax's net, HQ got an alert immediately. It took them about 2 hours to crack it before we heard a loud knock on our door.
Blake briefed us about the situation as we put on a facade of ignorance. He left 2 suitcases; one filled with gadgets and weapons, the other filled with all of our gear in an opaque bag with our name on it.

It might've been an accident, but Stace and Dax's gear were also in the suitcase.

I got my usual gun back along with some new katanas that were sharper and a lot more balanced.

I whipped it around testing out the weight and it felt like an extension of me. It's perfect. King got new throwing knives, a better sniper, and twin pistols like usual.
Amo didn't get a new rod as he had already augmented his to perfection, but he did get lots of new gadgets.

He smiled like a child on Christmas as he glanced upon all his new "toys" to break apart and rebuild again.

Domo got a new bow which was now more flexible and folded away. Amo had already made her an array of arrows, so she didn't take much of the ones provided.

I made eye contact with King as I walked out of my room after dressing up, we hadn't talked much recently. I don't know why, but there was a tension that lingered in the air heavier – it's always been there but nowadays it makes itself more known.

I wonder what it is.

A couple hours later, we all sat on the boat, the silence thick. The map showed Eustace and Dax in the middle of the ocean, and we all hoped that's not where we'd find them.

"I feel sick just thinking about it" Domo whispered to Amo, whilst clutching her stomach as the boat approached the harbour of the closest known place to their destination. "Me too but they are strong, I'm sure they are holding up" was his reply which earned him a side-eye from all his teammates.

Strong is not the word I'd use to describe them.

Maybe smart. But definitely not strong.

We hopped off the boat and were met with a black car that was supposed to take us the hostel.

As soon as we arrived, we settled in a shabby looking room and sat around the small table – ready to devise a plan.

"We have left Dax and Stace for 4 days by themselves. We need to leave as soon as possible" King voiced, already opening my laptop and viewing our location in relation to theirs.

I tried to get it back from the audacious girl, but she simply slapped my hand away, as if I were a bug.

No one else would have the gall, something about it excited me.

"Give me my shit back" I growled at her, which she replied to by sticking her tongue out like a child and started googling boat rentals.

Now she is just pissing me off, so why am I getting butterflies?

I think I'm sick.

"We can rent a boat just 5 minutes away from here, it will take us to their destination" King announced, "with what money genius?" I clipped back.

"I can solve that issue" Domo replied, with a smirk on her face.

Ah, the thief.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later that night, after Domo had returned from pickpocketing some unfortunate souls, we got dressed in our new gear and put Eustace's and Dax in Amo's backpack.

I put my laptop in mine and also a few of King's throwing knives in case she needed extra.

Domo carried some flashlights and snacks, as well as the cash.

We stowed away into the night. Creeping silently, avoiding any CCTV cameras that we saw. Amo had made a sensor back home which would reveal the location of any camera or sensor device, we used that gadget to leave our room unnoticed.

As soon as we got to the dock where we could rent boats, we realised that Blake's men hadn't left.

King cursed as she pulled us all down to hide behind a wall, "why didn't they leave? Are the onto us?" King questioned, whilst peeking over to look at the boat that Blake's people were on.

They didn't look like they were looking for us. They were drinking and having a laugh, probably not doing their jobs.

Which was good for us.

"We can easily sneak by; they aren't even paying attention" Amo pointed out. He would have been right, but I noticed a few diligent men doing their jobs of guarding the boat. They would surely catch us if weren't carful.

"Do you still have those tranquilisers?" I asked Amo. "Uh, I have the darts but not the gun" he sheepishly replied as he fished his backpack for the tiny objects.

I nodded, deep in thought trying to find a solution for this. "Attach the darts at the end of Domonic's bow. Domo, aim the tranqs at them and it's fine if you miss, we just need to divert their attention for a little bit whilst we run across to the boat house." I announced.

Everyone nodded and got to work. King ripped a thin piece of fabric from Domo's bag and wrapped the arrowhead with the dart.

Domo carefully aimed the bow, taking account the added weight, and hit every target, silently dropping them. We sprinted to the other side of the dock where the boat house sat. "We did it" Domo squealed as we ran.

I know from experience not to celebrate to early, because as soon as she said that a bullet came flying past my face. King hurtled into me, knocking me to the ground – helping me escape the myriad of bullets that followed.

She lay on top of me, and my peripherals blurred. There was a ringing in my ear that muted the words coming out of her lips. I was hyper focusing on her face and the world felt like it was spinning.

Only when she dragged me to my feet did I snap back to reality. I felt a wetness on my head, that was slowly crawling to the back of my neck.

The world was disoriented, and I couldn't tell if I was stationary or if I was moving. I saw King whip out her sniper and take down multiple people. At once.

She was amazing.

Her hair flew away in the wind. Her long black braids whipping against her face. The ringing was loud in my ears and black spots colonised my vision. She started shouting towards me, incoherent words that met deaf ears. I felt a sharp pain in my leg, somehow the pain was muffled in my dizziness, and I wasn't sure what hurt anymore. Amo pushed me forwards, dragging me behind a brick wall.

My vision was fading and the last thing before I closed my eyes was King's. Her brown eyes staring into mine with so many emotions flowing through them.

Worry, pain, regret, but there was one more – the most distinguishable – anger.