Chapter 34

King's POV

Amo was right.

My legs and glutes haven't felt a pump like this in a while. I posed for Tyro, "good right?" I asked, referring to the workout we all just had climbing the perpetual number of stairs.

"Shut up" he grumbled before rolling his eyes and ambling towards the mighty door that towered over us at the end of the staircase landing.

"Should we... open it?" Domo asked, I looked at her incredulously.

Why would we walk all this way just to look at it?

Tyro grabbed the archaic looking handles and leaned against the door. The door creaked in disagreement before slowly teasing us with a crack. "Need help, macho?" I sassed before leaning against the door with him and finally creating a big enough space for us to squeeze through.

"This is bullshit" Amo gasped as we all took in the second set of spiral staircases before us.

"Yeah, I can't lie. Stace and Dax are probably fine let's just slide back down" he continued about to squeeze back through the giant mahogany door before Tyro grabbed his collar and tugged him back aggressively.

We set out once again. On a trip. Up these stairs. Surely this is impractical, there must be an elevator somewhere because this seems so unnecessary and unbecoming.

This set of stairs was much shorter, and we were at the top within 5 minutes. This time we were met with a more modern looking door covered by an endless amount of 'do not enter' and 'maintenance needed' signs.

They probably closed off this way ages ago and built an alternative route. My suspicions were right. This place probably used to be something else, like a light house before becoming whatever it is now.

"The door's locked" Domo voiced as she tried the handle after we had moved the obstructing signs. "Why would the leave an unused door unlocked?" Tyro asked, glaring at Domo for her comment.

"Take a chill pill dude" I mumbled whilst removing my special pin from the back of my hair. The master key.

Thanks again, Amo.

The door unlocked easily and made little protest when I yanked it open.

It opened to a white corridor that seemed to be part of a maze. We ambled along until we found a room named 'supply closet'.

Inside was a bunch of white lab coats and other tools I assumed was sued frequently in this place.

We were in a what seemed to be a mixture of a science lab and a hospital. We walked around freely in the uniforms we had taken, and no one batted an eye at a bunch of young people walking cluelessly.

"Excuse me are you here for the 1 o'clock" a beautiful lady asked us. She wore big red frames on her face as well as obnoxiously red high heels. Her hair was pulled out of her face, and she looked at us all inquisitively but not with suspicion.

"Yes, we are. May you lead the way?" Tyro replied, with the most sophisticated voice I have ever heard.

Who is this man? Like an onion with countless layers, he has many personalities hiding under the paranoia and hostility.

She flashed her pearly whites at him, as if only now noticing the giant that had been with us the whole time. "Of course," she purred back, discreetly fixing her hair and beckoning us to follow.

"Damn Titi, get it" I whispered to him whilst nudging his arm. "Don't be gross" he spat back, evidently annoyed and something else that I couldn't put my finger on.

"Enjoy" the lady said, before ushering us into a room and winking at Tyro. Ok now that was gross.

Even grosser when Tyro smiled back.

"What the..." Amo mumbled. I turned around to find Eustace and Dax in a room behind glass having the time of their life.

The were clothed in white like everything else in the room. In the room with them was a high-res flat screen tv with a game console, different instruments, a small kitchen, fancy furniture, and worst of all: 2 bubbly teenagers having the time of their life playing a game together on the biggest iPads I have ever seen.

"They called us for this" Tyro grunted, steam almost rising out of his ears. "Calm down, I'm sure there is a valid explanation, because if there isn't, I'm going to be the one to put them in danger" Domo snarled, already cracking her neck.

I picked up a clipboard that was on the table. They couldn't see us due to the type of glass that separated us and them.

On the clipboard was a schedule and some notes.

"They get interviewed by various different government agents. Dax is queried about different software and technological problems whilst Stace is tasked with social problems like international relations and even some national stuff." I voiced as I flicked through the notes of all their appointments. I saw some massive numbers and my eyes almost jumped out of my head. "They get paid too, as well as getting to stay in a luxury room" I almost shouted. Domo clicked her knuckles furiously, "that it!" Amo thankfully caught her before she could barrel into the room through the door next to the glass.

"We should just leave them here. They are clearly doing well for themselves" Tyro mutters, rubbing his forehead, probably rethinking all we put ourselves through to get here. "Fine but let's speak to them first" Amo suggest.

We open the adjoining door to their room; they barrel towards us as soon as they see us. "We missed you so much" Eustace says whilst tightly gripping me.

We share our 'we missed you', 'how you been' and other pleasantries before Tyro cuts through our lollygagging by getting straight to the point. "Why did you click your tracker?" he asks, furrowed eyebrows showing he is not in the mood to be trifled with. "Because it's not safe here" Dax replies, whispering so a third party wouldn't hear him.

"What are you talking about? You guys are living better than most of us ever have in our lives, and you are trying to do what? Go back to the shit life we are barely surviving" Tyro spat, stepping closer to Dax – intimidating him with his height and presence. "Y-you do-don't understand. It's not safe. We have heard-" Tyro cut off Eustace, "You are just ungrateful, you get paid to stay in this lovely room and help serve your country. You are living like heroes, and you are worried about a few things you may or may not have heard. Well, guess what? The world is a messy place and you're going to hear messy things. So, grow up" Tyro sneered, walking out the door.

"Sorry, he is just testy because his butt doesn't look as great as King's after all the stair-climbing we did" Domo mediated. Hugging Eustace before leaving as well. Amo hot on her tail.

They were trying to tell us something, and none of them were listening.

"What have you heard?" I asked, ready to listen to what they had to say.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I left the room soon after hearing them out. If they are right, we have to get ourselves and them out of here now, if they are wrong, we still have to all get out of here, but I might release Tyro on them when we leave.

We exited into the hallway and saw the beautiful lady flanked but a couple of guards.

Oh, not good.

We swivel around and fast walk in the opposite direction.

Multiple curse words left my lips in a furious babble as I tirelessly waited for an idea to spring into my mind.

A/N: Life got busy but here's another chapter.