Chapter 2

A/N PLEASE READ:  There is an attempted shooting that takes place at a school event. No one is hurt but there is some panic. The scene is short but I understand this is a serious topic and can be quite triggering. Please take care of yourself while reading and skip this short chapter if you need to. The scene is in the 4th paragraph.

    For as long as Vegas could remember, someone had been trying to kill him. Vegas could excuse some of the attempts as accidents at first, even the brakes being cut in the car that took him to school and the actual piano that almost crushed him as he walked to the bookstore he frequented.

Vegas was perplexed at first, then he was furious. It didn't help that his uncle didn't seem that interested in the attacks. Sure, he increased the men guarding Vegas and even took time to give him personal lessons in self-defense, but Vegas couldn't get over the fact that Uncle Korn didn't seem worried that someone kept trying to kill him. He asked his cousins and his little brother, but none of them were having the same problem.

This is personal, Vegas thought. After that, he kept his eyes out for anyone acting suspiciously. Macau teased him that he always looked too serious, but Vegas didn't relent.

Finally, at his middle school graduation, he spotted him. Vegas had been walking across the stage to get his diploma just a step behind his cousin Kim when he saw the red dot light up a spot right where his heart was. Vegas leaped to the side just as the shot rang out, sending the room into a frenzy. While parents and students screamed and rushed for the exits, Vegas looked up at the small window of the auditorium control booth. Right there, where Vegas expected a mysterious man or even perhaps a monster, was a...boy? He looked to be about Vegas's age, with a mop of straight black hair and the lower half of his face covered with a mask. He looked pissed.

Vegas took off running, oblivious to Kim who followed right on his heels. By the time they made it through the panicking crowd, the door that led to the control room was open and Vegas knew the boy was already gone.

That night, Vegas was so lost in thought he could barely pay attention to his food or the conversation around him.