Chapter 19

While Vegas had showered, Pete had gone through the entire cabin, checking for surveillance devices as well as anything that could be used to kill Vegas. There were no cameras or microphones, and even the household cleaners that could have been weaponized had been removed if they were ever there.

Someone had planned this carefully.

While he showered, Pete had thought of several easy ways he could kill Vegas without a weapon. Hell, he could even lock him out of the cabin. That would be easy.

Seeing the sheepish and pathetic look on Vegas's face while he waited for Pete had disrupted that train of thought.

How did he manage to survive me this long? Am I even good at killing? Pete wondered.

"I made some soup," Vegas announced cheerfully. Dressed in clean clothes he looked much better, but first Pete needed to examine Vegas's nose. It had stopped bleeding and definitely wasn't broken, but it was sore to the touch. Pete gave it one last little pinch to make Vegas's eyes water before moving to sit at the table.

"You eat it first," Pete said, shoving his bowl away as he crossed his arms.

"There's nothing even here to poison you with, I bet. I'm sure you checked."

Pete gave nothing away as he blinked slowly at Vegas. "You could have had something packed in your bag."

"I didn't even pack my bag."

"Still."

"Fine, I'll show you."

Vegas took a large spoonful into his mouth and moaned. The soup was warm and he was starving. After three more mouthfuls he gestured to Pete's bowl.

"Eat before it gets cold."

After another moment, Pete took a tentative bite. The soup was warm and tasted better than he expected.

"So what would it take for you to stop trying to kill me and let me take you on a proper date?"

Pete narrowed his eyes and pretended to think a moment. "You would have to defeat me."

"Why do you hate me so much anyway? When we were texting we were getting along amazingly. And in the library..."

"That was a fluke. I just needed to let off steam. A certain someone refused to just die."

"Lucky me," Vegas smiled, "In both instances."

Pete stuck his tongue out and Vegas grinned wider.

"What do I need to defeat you at? Can I pick the game?"

"Game?"

Vegas nodded his head toward a bookshelf stacked with various family-friendly board games.

"You think beating me at a game is going to be enough for me to give you a chance?"

Vegas shrugged. "Worth a try."

"You're ridiculous."

"I propose Twister. With a twist."

Pete sighed before taking another bite. "What? You want me to have my hands tied my back?"

Vegas leaned back in his chair. "Maybe after we are done. How about naked Twister? Each time we mess up or fall we lose a piece of clothing?"

Pete's jaw dropped as his spoon clattered heavily on the table.

"Unless you're chicken?"

Ten minutes later, the two of them had the Twister mat out and were going over their conditions for the last time.