Chapter 4

Pete lay on his bed on his stomach as he read through his laptop notes. He hadn't understood Yaai's insistence that he attend a prestigious university, but gave up arguing when he found out the Theerapanyakuls also went there. It didn't mean he was excited about the test he had in the morning, however. He might not take his education very seriously, but that didn't mean he wanted to let his Yaai down.

A soft knock at his door gave Pete a blessed reprieve from pretending to absorb the information he was staring at.

"Busy?"

Pete smiled at his brother (in all but blood) Porsche as he slipped into the room. "I'm supposed to be studying, but I think I deserve a break."

Porsche grinned and nodded. "I thought you were up to your usual plans and schemes. Glad to see your tuition isn't going totally to waste."

Pete's eyebrows shot up as he inhaled sharply. "That's still to be decided. I haven't gotten a diploma yet, after all. As for my usual plans and schemes, I have an idea or two I've been working on. What are you up to?"

Porsche shook his head. "I would ask what you are planning but you never tell me anyways. As for me, I'm going to check on Chay and then head out to meet my boyfriend."

Pete stuck his tongue out. Porsche and his younger brother Porchay had lived with the Saengthams since Pete was only fifteen. Porsche had been a pickpocket that Yaai had taken pity on one day after hearing his story when she caught him in the act. She tried to take Porsche under her wing, but he was much too clumsy and never took the lessons seriously enough to be more than a small-time criminal. He didn't really have the heart for maiming and killing. Yaai and Pete were fond enough of both boys to keep them anyways, luckily. Yaai always thought it would be helpful for Pete to have siblings – brothers who could know his true identity and help ground him with regard to the general population. Being a loner most of his life had made him stand out too much, it turned out.

Porsche had always been a flirt, but for the last few months he had been going out to meet the same guy. Pete had tried getting the name out of him, but Porsche said he didn't want to jinx what might be his first serious relationship. Pete was happy for Porsche. He thought he would be a little more jealous, but his mind was already occupied 24/7 by a smug little asshole that simply refused to die.

"Just remember to be safe," Pete murmured.

"By safe do you mean condoms or a knife?"

"Both."

They looked at each other and laughed.

"Hey," Porsche said quickly, snapping his fingers, "Yaai wanted me to ask if you had picked out an outfit for the masquerade we are going to this weekend."

Pete groaned loudly and rolled onto his back, playing dead. Porsche just shoved him until he rolled off the bed and landed with a thud onto the floor.

"You dick," Pete laughed as he climbed back onto his mattress.

"Yaai won't go so easy on you. If I were you, I would pick an outfit before she picks one for you."

"I don't even know why we are going to this thing. She didn't say there was a mark there, but she said it was important for some truce or something. She said she would make an announcement at the party that would explain everything. I don't like being kept in the dark."

"She knows you've been sneaking around her office looking for clues."

"Of course she knows."

A loud knock at the door interrupted their conversation as Porchay called out, "P'Pete, Yaai wants to know if you are coming down for dinner."

Porsche moved to open the door, pulling Chay inside to ruffle his hair like he always did. Pete didn't try to hold back the smile that graced his face. He, too, had a soft spot for the youngest member of their family.

"Hia! Stop! You'll mess up my hair!"

Porsche let out a soft, soothing sound as he made a big show of fixing his little brother's hair, slicking it back excessively until it was comical.

"Oh," Pete said, assessing Porsche's work carefully, "That's so much worse."

Chay let out a heavy sigh and shoved Porsche away so he could try and undo some of the damage that had been done.