Chapter 6

"Why are we doing this again?" Vegas whined, pulling on his silk jacket.

"We are doing this," Korn said slowly, "to celebrate the fact that you have made it to 21. Not as easy for you as it is for most people, I would say, hence the big celebration."

"That's for sure," Vegas quickly agreed. "Now if that bastard would just stop trying to kill me we wouldn't have to make such a big deal out of things."

Korn gave a knowing smile that deeply unsettled Vegas. "I have a feeling he may grow tired of trying to kill you soon. Either way, I have a big announcement tonight, so make sure you don't miss it."

Korn left the room, leaving Vegas alone with his brother and cousins.

"Don't stress, Hia," Macau said, smiling as he stood. "The bodyguards will be scattered throughout the party, and they are doing checks at the door. That guy won't get in."

"That's what you think," Vegas said. "Just be careful."

After donning their masks, the family moved to make their grand entrance. Vegas wasn't sure why his uncle had rented a mansion for the party rather than use their home, but he thought the grand staircase they dramatically descended had at least something to do with it. It was probably easier to open up a building that didn't also hold their important work and personal spaces.

At least Vegas didn't have to worry too much about being introduced to a bunch of influential strangers, as the masks let people remain more or less anonymous if they wanted to be.

Tankhun, Kinn, and Kim quickly broke off from them to entertain themselves, while Vegas and Macau hung together for a while, sipping champagne and picking at the hors d'oeuvres. Vegas glanced over at his uncle from time to time, but the old man just gave him a confident smile and went back to his conversation.

Eventually, Macau became distracted.

"Who are you looking at?" Vegas asked over his shoulder.

Macau flinched a little but shook his head. "No one."

"'Cau, I know you. You were checking someone out."

Macau gave a light groan and Vegas knew he had him cornered. "Fine," he blurted, "I just thought that guy over there looked familiar. He looks a bit like the cute guy who sits next to me in class."

"The one who plays guitar and has Bambi eyes?"

Macau sighed wistfully. "Yeah..."

"Which one is he?"

"Don't look, but he's over there, next to the statue of Diana. Between the really tall guy with the strong jaw and the guy who looks like he would rather die than be here."

Vegas let his eyes dart around the room naturally before glancing in the direction his brother had said. He noticed the tall guy first; it was hard not to. He had a big grin on his face and had a presence that commanded attention. The young boy next to him had fluffy hair and a shy smile as they talked. They looked very comfortable with each other and the setting, unlike the other guy with them. His dark hair had been styled away from his face. A slightly upturned nose peeked out from under his mask just above the most gorgeous, bow-shaped mouth Vegas had ever seen.

"Hia!" Macau hissed, slapping him on the chest, "I told you not to stare!"

"I wasn't!"

Macau rolled his eyes and moved away, unable to be associated with Vegas for the rest of the night.

When Vegas looked back, the handsome stranger was gone, along with his companions.

"Whatever," Vegas murmured to himself, draining another flute of champagne. He was starting to feel more than a little tipsy, but he figured he deserved to have a little fun. It was his birthday, after all. He grabbed two more glasses and slipped away from the crowd to explore the building more. He had been told there was a great library somewhere and he was dying to get a look at it.