Chapter 8

Vegas stood in the library for a moment after Pete kissed him before vanishing. The whole experience felt like a dream, but Vegas knew it had been very, very real. The plan had been to have a little fun with a stranger, make out with them, or even mess around a bit more. But that had been beyond comprehension. They didn't know each other for more than a minute, but they had fit together so perfectly, their desires so aligned. Vegas knew he couldn't let someone that prodigious get away from him without a fight. He rushed from the room, glancing down the hall both ways before taking a guess and heading back to the party.

"Where were you?" Kinn asked as Vegas pushed through the crowd, desperate for a glimpse of the stranger. "You missed Pa's announcement."

Vegas shook Kinn off as he tried to grab his arm. "Later, I'm busy."

"Who are you looking for? Macau? He's fine, he's with Kim."

"Not him. It's–I don't have time to explain. He's...there!"

Vegas saw Pete walking away with Porsche across the crowd. Kinn rushed after Vegas, surprised Vegas seemed to want his boyfriend for something. Watching Vegas's gaze, however, Kinn soon realized it wasn't Porsche he was looking at. By the time they crossed the room, Porsche and Pete were gone. Vegas picked up the mask Pete had dropped and held it carefully in his hands. He thought of the mouth that had captivated him from beneath that mask and cursed himself for being too slow.

"Are you going to tell me what's going on?" Kinn asked as he watched Vegas with concern. He had never seen him act like that before.

Shaking his head, Vegas sighed. "It doesn't matter. It's too late."

Kinn glanced in the direction Porsche had vanished and put his hands on his hips. He decided he would need to talk with his boyfriend the next time they met up.