𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐕

CHAPTER FIVE

❝ PRISON BREAK ❞

⊱ ⸺ { •♟• } ⸺ ⊰

𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐂𝐇 𝟕ᵗʰ, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟎

𝟎𝟎:𝟓𝟖 𝐀𝐌

           LUCAS BARELY SLEPT. Adrenaline coursed through his veins at high speed as he thought about what would happen next. What he was about to do. Of course, it wasn't the first time he was in prison, but it was the first time he was going to escape.

Whenever a guard passed by his cell, Sinclair pretended to be asleep so as not to arouse suspicion. He kept an eye on the watch Max had given him so he would know when to start.

He knew that the guards change shifts around 1 AM, so it was the perfect time to escape. Since neither the incoming nor the outgoing guards were really paying attention to the inmates.

Lucas sat on the bunk and watched his cellmates. He made sure his cellmates were already asleep - not a difficult task since they all snored loudly. He put the gun hidden under his pillow in his pocket and walked down the steps to his bunk.

As he approached the bars of his cell, walking on tiptoe so as not to make any noise, he came upon a guard "on watch" sitting asleep in a chair to the left of his cell door. Perfect. Furthermore, the bunch of keys was about to fall out of his pocket. Lucas couldn't help but smile mischievously. One man's sloppiness is another man's gain.

The young man crouched down and reached his arm through the bars to carefully grasp the keys, thankful that their jingling hadn't woken the sleeping man. Finding the key to his cell wouldn't be difficult, as all the keys were numbered by cell number. He couldn't believe it would be so easy.

Within seconds, Lucas had left his cell and locked it again. But, obviously, it wasn't going to be that easy. Unfortunately for him, the guard was a light sleeper and woke up shivering, but lucid enough to realize that some smart guy was about to run away.

But Lucas was smarter, and in addition to the key, he took the baton from the guard's belt. 

A few seconds later, he had knocked the guard unconscious, hitting him over the head with the baton. Sinclair remained motionless as he heard the deafening thud of the blow echo down the long corridor of cells. He heard a few inmates move on their mattresses, but not much else. At least for the moment.