𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐗

CHAPTER TWENTY

FAVORITE CRIME

⊱ ⸺ { •♟• } ⸺ ⊰

𝐃𝐄𝐂𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟐ⁿᵈ, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟎

            THE DOORS OPENED. A beam of light from outside illuminated the entire gold-decorated room. The melody played on the piano echoed through the church to the meticulously crafted high vaulted ceilings. Light poured in through the stained glass windows, coloring the sweet atmosphere.

The scent of lavander was in the ar from the flowers scattered around the empty church. There were candles everywhere and the little flames swayed gently to the beat of his accelerated heartbeat.

He felt a sense of peace and excitement like never before. He felt like he was living a dream. The dream.

She glided down the aisle like an angel. A simple, long white dress glided across the floor, hugging the curves of her beautifully sculpted body. A man whose face was unknown, dressed in a black tuxedo, accompanied her to the altar.

As she approached, he saw something glittering on her, but he couldn't tell if it was the sparkling pearls on her dress or her sapphire blue eyes wet with tears.

It was Max. Her red hair was unmistakable, as was her soft skin. She wore a crown of flowers in her hair. He felt HIS cheeks flush as her blue eyes met his and a sweet, shy smile appeared on her sweet, red lips.

He couldn't see his own face, but he was probably grinning like a fool and shaking like a nervous fifteen-year-old on his first date.

He was in heaven and an angel was approaching him. He clearly saw her hands up close, with a beautiful diamond ring glittering on her finger. He reached out to grasp hers, feeling the soft, warm touch of her skin against his.

"Of all the crimes I committed, you are my favorite. All I have destroyed, all the trouble I have caused, was just to call you mine." He whispered in her ear, and she let out a shy laugh.

He prepared to kiss her lips, but before he could taste her smile...

...he woke up.

He became aware of his body, where he was, and opened his eyes.

He was facing a dirty, gray ceiling. It wasn't the ceiling, it was the top bunk. He was in that bed, lying on that uncomfortable mattress, covered with that thin, old blanket.