𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

DAYLIGHT 

⊱ ⸺ { •♟• } ⸺ ⊰

𝐉𝐔𝐋𝐘 𝟏𝟑ᵗʰ, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟕

           THE FRONT DOORS OPENED. The guards accompanied him, finally exchanging a few silent smiles of companionship. He walked forward alone. He felt the warmth of the outside enveloping him and the warm breeze gently caressing his body.

He looked up at the blue sky and felt the sun's rays warm his face. The breeze that blew that day was different. It had a different meaning. Almost nostalgic.

That day had come.

That quiet, calm and peaceful day was just another normal, hot summer day for everyone. But for him it was the day that marked a new phase in his life. From now on he was free.

He walked slowly along the asphalt towards the exit. He carried his few belongings under his arm, ready to start again. Walking through that gate was a simple gesture, but it was also the moment he left his guilt behind. The moment he left that place forever.

It was hard to explain what he felt. It was a peace that gave him butterflies in his stomach and shivers of excitement. Perhaps fear and anxiety, as he felt he was throwing himself into the unknown.

Freedom made him feel nostalgic, like it was something from his past. Simple things like walking down the street was something he hadn't done in a long time, but now he could do it without fear. He almost didn't know how to do it.

Surely he would have to go through a whole process of getting used to it. To get used to being a normal, free human being again and to live his daily life in peace without having to look back in fear of being hunted, caught or arrested. Now he could put the guilt behind him, although he would never get rid of the stigma of being an ex-convict. He will always carry that weight on his back. It's impossible to forget the past.

But what's past can't be changed, so now it's time to focus on the present and build the future. A future with Max. And give her the life she deserves.

Now he was free. But he will only be truly free when Max becomes free.

Facing the world after years of imprisonment is much more painful when you don't have the person you love by your side. But still, he won't give up. It's time to start again.