𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐈

CHAPTER ELEVEN

❝ APOCALYPSE ❞

⊱ ⸺ { •♟• } ⸺ ⊰

ʷᵃʳⁿⁱⁿᵍ - ᵗʰⁱˢ ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ᶜᵒⁿᵗᵃⁱⁿˢ ᵐᵃᵗᵘʳᵉ ᶜᵒⁿᵗᵉⁿᵗ

            IT WAS AFTER FOUR IN THE MORNING and the party still showed no signs of ending, but the criminal couple left the club and fled into nature.

They crossed the parking lot and entered the dense, dark forest. They staggered hand in hand through the tall trees, dodging the underbrush. The cool night breeze awakened their compromised senses.

As they moved forward, they could hear the crackling of dry wooden branches beneath their feet. In the distance, they could hear the song of wary owls in the strong branches of the pines, and they inhaled the scent of eucalyptus leaves and wet wood, muted by the fresh morning dew.

Max, barefoot, stepped carefully on the uneven ground as if walking on broken glass, carrying her high heels in one hand.

The redhead, moving away from Lucas, picked up a small stick she had found and threw it at his back. He was obviously startled, let out a little scream and suddenly looked back, completely astonished. Max, as expected, laughed, pleased to have achieved her goal.

"What did you think it was? And who screams like that? You sounded like a little girl," she scoffed, still holding her stomach from laughing so hard and looking down to avoid tripping over the rocks in the middle of the path.

Lucas gave her a disapproving look and she mumbled an apology. But it didn't help much, because she tripped over a protruding root of a pine tree.

"I guess karma never fails." Lucas let out a chuckle, and Max only had time to grab his arm to keep from falling. Max, mentally judging her actions, changed the subject.

"Do you have any idea where we're going?" She asked, looking back in a vain attempt to remember the path they'd taken.

"Actually I do, I just hope I'm going the right way." He craned his neck to see if they were getting closer to their destination. "They told me that there was a waterfall and a small lake nearby in the middle of the forest."

"Well, that might be pretty. But, ugh, I can't take it anymore. My feet are sore and I refuse to walk in high heels on this bumpy ground at the risk of ruining them. In fact, I refuse to walk in high heels for the rest of my life!" She complained frustratedly, wrinkling her nose in pain.