𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐈𝐈

CHAPTER TWELVE

❝ THE NIGHTMARE ❞

⊱ ⸺ { •♟• } ⸺ ⊰

            SHE LIFTED HER EYELIDS. The wind was howling outside, beating hard against the thin, fragile windows that were ajar. She looked around. She was lying on an uncomfortable bed, covered with torn sheets and a worn red blanket. She sat down.

She looked at the small room with walls covered in old wood so gray it looked burned. There was little decoration, just an old painting on the floor next to a dirty carpet and an unlit lamp on the nightstand.

She stood up. The old wooden floor creaked with every step she took. She walked to the open door and found herself in a long hallway with another door at the end. The smell of mold and dust made her nose itch.

As she walked slowly down the corridor, she noticed that there were stains of dried blood on the floor. Suddenly she felt a chill run from the back of her neck to the end of her spine.

Max.

She heard voices echoing through the old wooden house. She felt pale. She looked around intently, searching for whoever was speaking. But all she could hear was the pounding of her blood in her ears.

A man appeared from the room and walked toward her. Tall, stocky, black hair and light eyes. Extremely pale. Half of his face was stained with dark, dried blood, just like the dark blue trench coat he was wearing.

Max.

She heard again that deep voice reverberate through the walls. Her eyes wide, she shook her head in denial.

She took steps to get away from the man until she was leaning against the door. In utter desperation, she grabbed the handle and turned it. To her surprise, when she opened the door, there were wooden planks blocking the exit. The man approached her with slow steps. He stared at her and clenched his fists. Now it was his turn to kill her.

Max.

The sound of his hoarse voice repelled her. She pushed and banged on the wooden boards with all her strength to get away. She looked around for a way out, but there was no alternative.

She felt his voice on the back of her neck and the sickening smell of alcohol, blood and death.

She was surprised by a huge hand grabbing her neck. For a moment, her vision blurred and the ground slipped away from her feet. She couldn't breathe.