𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐕𝐈𝐈

CHAPTER SEVEN

❝ GETAWAY CAR ❞

⊱ ⸺ { •♟• } ⸺ ⊰

𝐏𝐇𝐎𝐄𝐍𝐈𝐗, 𝐀𝐑𝐈𝐙𝐎𝐍𝐀

𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐂𝐇 𝟗ᵗʰ, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟎

           THE DARKNESS OF THE NIGHT dissipates as the sky is torn apart by the sun, which appears on the horizon and takes on a pink and orange hue. The cold early morning breeze coming through the open window is warmed by the sun rising over the mountains in the distance. The burning rays of light it emits strike the car and their faces.

Lucas half-closes his eyes so he can see the road ahead without being blinded by the sun's rays, keeping a relaxed smile on his face.

Two days had passed since their escape. For the time being, they were calm, because apparently they weren't being pursued. They were safe for now, of course.

There were few cars on the deserted road that crossed a plain of reddish earth and undergrowth. A beautiful landscape. Driving was still a bit of a chore, as his left arm was in a cast, but Max needed to rest. She had been driving most of the time, not to mention that it wasn't that safe since she didn't have a license.

But it wasn't that easy anymore. Not only were they still on the road without a definitive destination, but the few supplies Max had brought with her were almost gone and they couldn't last much longer on apples and potato chips. But they didn't have a single penny, and the car's gas tank was almost empty.

Lucas took advantage of the tranquility of the road to watch the Sleeping Beauty beside him.

He never tired of noticing how beautiful Max was. The morning sun illuminated her wavy red hair, which fell rebelliously like a waterfall of fire over her shoulders; her soft freckles, which were perfectly scattered over her glowing skin, intensified by the sunlight, and her delicate eyelashes, which rested peacefully on the tips of her eyelids.

Her bold and creative ideas show how smart she is, and her laughter is the most beautiful melody he's ever heard. Every time her bright blue eyes meet his, his heart skips a beat. It's like time freezes and the world around them disappears.

Her presence is much more important than she realizes. 

I feel that my life has become much more meaningful since he met her. If we weren't trapped in this mess, I would be willing to give up a life of crime if she asked me to. She has such a pure soul, she doesn't deserve this reputation or to sacrifice her life for me. She killed her husband because of me. She does me so much good, but I did her so much harm. So I swear to protect her as long as I live.