𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

BLOODLINE 

⊱ ⸺ { •♟• } ⸺ ⊰

𝐀𝐔𝐆𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝟑ʳᵈ, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟎

           A SINGLE ROOM. A private one. Lucas let out a soft laugh that sounded like a sigh.

It sounded incredible. He could even guess who wanted to visit him. After all, there was no one else.

He took another deep breath. Unconsciously, he shook his right leg frantically to relief the stress that was overwhelming him. He was sitting in a small, dark room that contained only a round gray table and three chairs. A small window on the side wall showed the fragile branches of a small tree, gently swaying in the cool summer breeze. The sun shone brightly, warming the world outside. The world that would now be unknown and unreachable for a long, long time.

The world he once wanted to dominate belonged to others, not to him. Everyone but him. Looking out of the window caused a nostalgic feeling in his heart that almost prevented him from breathing normally.

Someone had visited him in prison and asked for a private room to talk more freely. Or someone had come to threaten or punish him.

And he thought she had come to do both. Even though he was scared, he wanted to see her again. To thank her for what she had done last week. And also to understand why she did it.

He didn't have to wait long. He was absentmindedly biting his fingernail when the sound of the doorknob being turned abruptly pulled him out of his nervous reverie.

His gaze shifted to the door where she appeared.

Erica.

Of course it had to be her. Lucas dared a shy smile, his heart pounding, but his smile faded at the sight of her calm, expressionless face.

Her long, loose, curly hair swayed as she approached.

"Erica... good to see you." Lucas broke the silence, but his voice didn't sound as excited as he wanted it to. "Sit down, please." He motioned to the chair in front of him. The movement of his hands shook the handcuffs, their rattle echoing through the room.

"No need, thank you. It'll be quick." Erica replied in her sweet but firm voice. She leaned against the table and crossed her arms over her chest, looking into Lucas' eyes with indifference.