𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

❝ THE TRUTH UNTOLD 

⊱ ⸺ { •♟• } ⸺ ⊰

            THE INTIMIDATION CONTINUED, but neither of them let up. The already known evidence was brought up and the interrogation continued. Until it was time for another witness. Then Robin stood up and positioned herself at the front of the audience. She projected her melodious voice steadily.

"There are those who say that being a defense attorney means playing an unfair and dirty role. But our role is to show the other side of the story. To show that criminals are human beings with feelings. We can see how people react when they are at their worst, at their lowest. And to find reasons, motivations. That's why I'm calling a witness, not to the crimes committed, but to the life of one of these defendants."

The doors opened and Erica Sinclair walked in.

Countless heads turned to watch the girl as she walked to the witness stand. Lucas couldn't believe what he was seeing. Not even what was happening.

For a moment, he was angry that Robin had gone behind his back. Because she had dragged his sister into the mess. He didn't even want to imagine what Erica would think of him when she got the news that he was a compulsive criminal who was about to rot in jail, when he had promised her that he was no longer involved in that life. She didn't deserve any of this. Another person he dragged down the well.

"Miss Erica Sinclair, could you tell us about your brother Lucas Sinclair? And in light of the allegations that Lucas is facing, would you describe your brother as, and I quote, "a ruthless psychopath"?

"No. I know my brother. He is not the heartless and violent psychopath they say he is. I grew up with him, I played with him, our mother took care of both of us the same way until she died. He was a sweet, gentle, happy boy like any other. He just... changed. He is now a scared, angry, and heartbroken boy. Bad company and trauma have corrupted him. And that doesn't justify anything, I know," she raised her hand defensively, staring at the audience without fear. "But I know he is capable of learning from his mistakes and changing again, just like he did."

"Mr. Carver, would you like to ask Ms. Sinclair any questions?" The judge asked and Jason promptly replied yes, already standing up and addressing Erica.

"Ms. Sinclair, is it true that your father, Charles Sinclair, was in prison driving drunk on public roads and harassing residents?

"Y-yes, it is true." Erica replied with a trembling voice, as she hadn't expected the subject to be brought up, especially after her father's death.